Blackberry juice concentrate from homewinery.com

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a galaxy 4 and love it...the app called (eva) is way better then siri.
my sister has and iphone , and we compared siri against eva...
siri came up with some weird, ::::::::

Going back to the original thread topic, I found ( sort of knew they were there!) four 4L jugs of Blackberry Wine I made in Aug. 2011, from the 1/2 gal concentrate. Anyway we bottled it yesterday, awesome, I topped those off with Blackberry Brandy & ABV was 13.6 % , according to my notes. Very smooth, you would never know this was a "low price" kit. Also in the 18gal tote was one 4L jug of their Chianti also 2 years old & awesome. Roy. PS we knew we were moving soon, so we bulked bottle in jugs ( shortage of bottles) & put the jugs in totes to make the move easier, now 11 months in the new home it's FUN finding what's in the totes!!

We had to rack yesterday, company for dinner today and we had the 2 5-gallons pails on the table we need for dinner and we have a long work day tomorrow and Wednesday. At the rate they were going down Thursday would have had them totally dry.
Stirred them up very well and they are perking away this morning. OG was 1.002 and 1.010 last night.

Both of the concentrates are now at .990. Will rack, probably tomorrow and add acid blend and sorbate.

How long to you all age in carboys before you bottle?

We normally age 6 months in carboys but was not sure because this was the first time using concentrates.

Well, let us return to the central question here. As far as many individuals are concerned a fruit wine should be made with all juice. CroakerSoaker has stated that the staff at homewinery have affirmed that the concentrate should be reconstituted at a 1 to 3 ratio to achieve a pure juice. So one half gallon of concentrate could in no way make five gallons of a pure juice. It would make 2 gallons. Im not saying a wine made this way would not be good. It just would not have the fruit intensity or body that a pure juice wine would have. I am planning on doing a blueberry port following the basic recipe as outlined in another thread on this forum and would like to use the concentrate mentioned here. However with a high alcohol wine that will also have booze in it, I need lots of fruit flavor up front. Just trying to figure out whats what. If anyone has input please feel free to chime in.

I understand that that is what is stated on the container of concentrate and on their website. So what is with the misinformation given to Croaker by no less than a staff member at the company. How could they work there and be so wrong about one of their products. Prob shouldn't be spreading false information to the customers.......

concentrates????????

The jury is still out for me, I'm about ready to start to work with both the pineapple which is in (wine form) and the blueberry still in the plastic jug.:ft

chasemandingo said:
I understand that that is what is stated on the container of concentrate and on their website. So what is with the misinformation given to Croaker by no less than a staff member at the company. How could they work there and be so wrong about one of their products. Prob shouldn't be spreading false information to the customers.......

I never really got the answer to that question but the concentrate is 65 brix . I suppose if you knew what brix blackberries are normally you could add water until you got to that number. I have read 10-13 brix for blackberries. I bought four half gallons and went ahead and tried it per the instructions with two of them it is aging in secondary now . Ill try it in a couple months and if its not bold enough ill try that. Can anybody confirm the actual brix of blackberries?

The SG on my homegrown blackberries was 1.050 which is 12.4 Brix. so using the half galloon without adding sugar should get you close to this Brix. the only thing lacking could be the flavor but I normally make my blackberry wine with 2 gallons juice and 3 gallons water so this would be about the same.

Looks like this weekend I'll rack miine, kmeta, sorbate and add their packets of acid. It's been since August 20th since racked from bucket to carboy. I'll get off any lees that have dropped since then. I'll let that sit a month then rack and back sweeten. Looking forward to trying this as I've heard grat reviews regarding their products. We have both the black berry and the blu berry going.

I'm looking forward to next racking on this. Will likely be next weekend. I will back sweeten at that point. Acid was added to both carboys the begining of the month. Should be a good one. May blend the black berry with some Cab... and see how that works out.

I'm looking forward to next racking on this. Will likely be next weekend. I will back sweeten at that point. Acid was added to both carboys the begining of the month. Should be a good one. May blend the black berry with some Cab... and see how that works out.

Doug, let me if you do, I'm interested in that blend.

Doug, let me if you do, I'm interested in that blend.

I'll definately be doing it. I have 9 gallons of cab and 5.5 gallons of this blackberry. Just a matter of when to attempt. That just means I'll need to make sure I sorbate the Cab since it will no doubt be sweetened a little. I'll keep you posted.

Julie & FFemt, I regularly blend my Dundee Blackberry with their Cab & with another Merlot I have made. Only use 5-10% blackberry, but we really like the difference it makes!! Going to try a weaker blend than that on a Pino Noir we made. Roy

Latest posts

Back