Blackberry juice concentrate from homewinery.com

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Few Words About Nutrients

One of the nutrients naturally lacking in most wines is nitrogen. Having sufficient nitrogen in the fermentation allows wine yeast to reproduce more readily. The higher the rate of reproduction, the higher the wine’s rate of fermentation. Nitrogen also helps the yeast to produce higher levels of natural enzymes, which means your wine will clear and age quicker. Having plenty of nitrogen will also increase the yeast’s tolerance to alcohol.

The most common source of nitrogen is Yeast Nutrient it comes either in powder or tablet form. Yeast Nutrient supplies nitrogen to the yeast in the singular form of a phosphate. Yeast Nutrient is sufficient for make wines from grapes and other fruits that are similar to grapes such as currants and berries.

In certain situations Yeast Energizer may be more beneficial than Yeast Nutrient. Just like Yeast Nutrient, the Energizer supplies the wine yeast with much needed nitrogen, but from a wider range of nutrients than just phosphate. Yeast Energizer contains over a dozen yeast extractive proteins, along with B1 Vitamin, and di-ammonium phosphate. All are valuable sources of nitrogen.

Yeast Energizer should be used when fermenting certain types of wines such as meads, vegetables, herbs, etc. The more the produce is unlike grapes, the more likely Energizer will be of benefit. Unlike grapes, these type of musts are typically deficient in the set of nutrients wine yeast are used to receiving. Yeast Energizer compensates for these deficiencies.

One more question.regarding the blackberry wine.kits usually take four weeks.from doing fruits from scratch.how many weeks would u take it over before bottling it ? Thank you for all your help

once it is finished fermenting, you can let it clear on its own with time, then bottle, are you can add a clearing agent after it is done fermenting.
I like to use egg whites in my blackberry to clear it.

I've actually been slowing down my bottling process, I'm finding that even if your wine looks clear it might not be. I have an elder berry I was going to bottle, decided to put super clear in it and discovered it was nowhere near clear. IT is now but it wasn't.

...........In certain situations Yeast Energizer may be more beneficial than Yeast Nutrient. Just like Yeast Nutrient, the Energizer supplies the wine yeast with much needed nitrogen, but from a wider range of nutrients than just phosphate. Yeast Energizer contains over a dozen yeast extractive proteins, along with B1 Vitamin, and di-ammonium phosphate. All are valuable sources of nitrogen..................

I would not recommend using energizer instead of nutrient in any situation. James, you give a lot of information that is good but I would caution you on giving advice. I know you are probably getting the majority of your information from the internet. You are a very new winemaker yourself, this is the reason why I would caution you on giving advice that you are just finding online and not experiencing yourself.

So let me say this again, yeast nutrient and yeast energizer are two different things. Nutrient is a vitamin to your yeast and energizer just "energizes" your yeast like an energy drink.

Last edited:
I agree with you 100 percent julie, that is why I posted the above, to show the benefits each have..I was not advising anything.
Each have a benefit...but we have to know what that benefit is and when to use it...
I am a new wine maker, but even I have found that trial and error is perhaps a thing of beauty. But I use the internet along with this forum for my information.
Both have been right, both have been wrong.

Elderberry and Black Current are both at 1.020 this morning. Rather than snap down the lid, I think we will rack to carboys tomorrow as they both seem to be dropping .10 each day. We did add bentonite to both on the 3rd day. Should they both be stirred up before we rack to secondaries?

Have not added the acid blend and forgot to order it but have it on hand. Looks like it is about 5 teaspoons for 5 gallons, is that correct? Used Lavlin 71B on both.
Next question since we rack to 1 gallon carboys was thinking it would be OK to add 1 teaspoon to each gallon when we go to secondaries or would it be better to add at the 3rd racking?

We can rack to a bucket but I am wondering why? If the gravity is 1.010 will it finish to dry if you leave the yeast behind by not stirring?

When I use to rack to carboy at 1.010 I would always give it a stir them rack, but now I let my must ferment to dry In the primary. I know the theory is to rack while there is some fermentation action going to help against oxidizing but then you rack it when it is dry, so I am not seeing the reason to rack early. I ferment to dry in primary, rack and add k-meta, leave sit for 3 months then rack again and every three months there after until I bottle.

Sammyk, just because you have a good ferment going right now does not mean it will continue at that speed after you rack.

It is my understanding that there is a lot of kmeta in the juice. Would you still add kmeta again at the first racking?

Like dura arms does, I don't add until fermentation is completed.

Tell me about it. And siri is the worst thing I've seen, I told her today she was a dipsh$$ and was fired. She said I'll pretend I didn't hear that. I could had chucked my phone out the truck window at 75 mph.

Roflmao, that is hilarious, I have IPhone 4S my contract is up and I'm thinking of getting a Galaxy 4

Latest posts

Back