Blackberry juice concentrate from homewinery.com

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add enough sugar at the beginning to get your sg to where you want it, ferment to dry, if you want a sweet wine, then add k-meta and sorbate, now add sugar to desired sweetness

Well if you put the 10 lbs of sugar in at the start it will not ferment to dry it will stop at around 1.015 or pretty close. I didnt say their directions dont work, just that its harder to control the final product. The yeast provided works very well to bring out the fruit flavor.

I agree with dralarms, if you add the 10lbs of sugar it will never go dry are to .990, the yeast will be dead from consuming the sugar.
I doubt at 1.015 you will be able to taste very much sweetness, as the
sweetness starts to disappear about 1.055...from then on it starts tasting dryer and dryer until it finished.
on my ports i start tasting at these levels...1.040,1.045,1.050,1.055, etc.
each 5 points on the hydrometer can clearly show sweetness to dryness levels.
just saying

1.010 would be a semi-sweet wine and you should detect the sweetness, 1.040 is very sweet, actually, I would think that is close to syrupy. James, because it is a port you can handle that high of a sweet level because of the higher alcohol.

And I would not recommend adding that amount of sugar and hoping it ferments down to a certain sg.

Last edited:
jamesngalveston said:
I agree with dralarms, if you add the 10lbs of sugar it will never go dry are to .990, the yeast will be dead from consuming the sugar. I doubt at 1.015 you will be able to taste very much sweetness, as the sweetness starts to disappear about 1.055...from then on it starts tasting dryer and dryer until it finished. on my ports i start tasting at these levels...1.040,1.045,1.050,1.055, etc. each 5 points on the hydrometer can clearly show sweetness to dryness levels. just saying

It's always about the other components. 1.040+ is approaching ice wine territory, and it's about the SG of most apple juice you can buy. I think what's more likely the case is that a SG of 1.040-1.050 is where you're starting to pick on other components that were being completely masked prefermentation. I agree that 1.010 would be closer to semi sweet.

Quick question, anyone tried the muscat concentrate from there? Im doing 6 gallons from a half gallon jug plus a pint from there in an attempt to make a Moscato wine for the girlfriend.

Just curious if anyone had any experiance on this.

purchased a blackberry, a peach and a watermelon from home winery, all making some good looking batches of 5 gallons now. peach and watermelon almost complete in secondary, blackberry still going strong in primary, good prices and good juice from this comapny

purchased a blackberry, a peach and a watermelon from home winery, all making some good looking batches of 5 gallons now. peach and watermelon almost complete in secondary, blackberry still going strong in primary, good prices and good juice from this comapny

I've heard that watermelon takes some love (meaning either work, luck, or time). I'd be interested in knowing how the watermelon turns out.

I've heard that watermelon takes some love (meaning either work, luck, or time). I'd be interested in knowing how the watermelon turns out.

I wonder if this was pasteurized, there has to be some assurances that it would not spoil for them to sell it.

Okay, for the sake of experimentation I'll be using one of the half gallon Homewinery.com Blackberry concentrates and a 96 oz. can of Vintner's Harvest Blackberries for a 5 gallon batch. I'm expecting (and hoping) for an over-the-top full-bodied jammy mouthfeel. This will be oaked and I will either update this thread (or create a new thread) and link it to this thread when I start.

Dave

I don't know if anyone reads this old thread, but....

The official legal U.S. Brix for BlackBerry is 10.0. (
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/19/151.91
).

So one 64 ounce jug of blackberry juice concentrate would make 3.4 gallons of wine, if used at 100% pure unconcentrated undiluted juice strength. Assuming starting Brix of 68.

(Because 68Brix/10Brix=6.8 jugs of concentrate. ….. 6.8jugs *64 ounces per jug=435.2 ounces. 435.2/128=3.4 gallons).

Yes thanks. I should have mentioned that. I was focused on trying to answer the question of how to get the concentrate to match the state of natural unconcentrated juice. this is the case with most fruit wines-- sugar needs to be added since many fruits don't have the higher sugar content like wine grapes do, in general. Acid adjustments are also commonly needed in fruit wines.

It's interesting that you can pay $95 for a blackberry pail from Walkers or $31.95 for blackberry concentrate from Homewinery.

It's nice that they put the instructions on the website, including how much sugar to add to get your target dryness:
http://www.homewinery.com/concentrate.pdf

Haven't made any wine from concentrate yet but that's a tempting price. :)

Latest posts

Back