Other Bentonite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upsidedown

Reaction score
I just started a Pinot Grigio from a kit (Argentia) is it common practice to add bentonite in the primary fermentation like this kit calls for. There is no cap on must I believe due to the Bentonite. But here is lots of bubbling CO2 action going on because I believe all the Yeast is on the bottom and circulating up with the CO2 bubbles? Is there an advantage to this procedure or would stirring the must daily accomplish the same thing?

stir twice a day. this keeps yeast in suspension and also adds oxygen which yeast like at his stage. Also good occasion to check sg progress.

So... To stir, or not to stir, that is the question. Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to stir... ;)

None of the three RJS kits I've done instructed me to stir (though one with a grape pack did have me pushing the pack down every day while in primary). The MM All Juice kit I recently started bulk aging did have me stir. All four kits included bentonite to be added to the primary.

I use an airlock/tight lid configuration with kits as instructed and therefore don't stir. As long as there is a robust stream of bubbles in the airlock I leave it be. I've never had an issue doing so with the WineXpert stuff, but the bargain kit on Amazon got a stir mid primary. DB and Pee get whipped daily. I do think I am going to start adding bentonite to DB and Pee at day 1.

Latest posts

Back