Beginners - don't be offended

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and I think your point and observation , Thig, is incredibly important. People want answers now! and often they are not willing - or able - to do the research they ought/need to do for themselves.

It's all good Thig. I think your point is well-intentioned.

I am in the camp with JimmyT. For me, I can read all I can, but until I put it to use, it isn't the same. I think there needs to be a nice mix of reading and doing. I have found some of the times little quirks happen that the reading didn't address and that is when I hit up WMT.

I think its prudent to read first then ask but there's no harm in asking first.

No matter how many times the same question gets answered, its perfectly reasonable to ask a question regarding your specific batch. At first it seems easy -- make a batch, add yeast, then suddenly the wine is doing something or the conditions are different from what you anticipated. Winemaking is a big investment in time and money as well as passion. Why not ask away? People don't have to respond if they are tired of answering an elementary question.

Also too, people learn in different ways. Some people want to jump in the deep end and learn to swim on the way out. I won't say its a bad way, but if one learns this way, they need to have people around to jump in and pull the beginner out if it starts to go bad. Same goes for beginners addressing questions to this forum. If that's the way they learn, then go for it and be glad that people like Turock and Gary are around to reel them in if they need help or reassurance. In the end, the cycle is the same: try, fail, learn, try again, fail better.

A benefit also goes to the responder. The act of explaining extends the teacher's understanding. For this reason, there is nothing wrong with somebody that has only a little experience trying to provide an answer. For sure, this forum will correct a person if they give bad advice.

About the only responses that are of place to a beginner's questions are the one that don't try to explain or are not based in true knowlege. For example: "I've never done/don't really know about/don't have an interest in" xyz but here is what I think" or "your should read about something in this link" without giving the person a summary that actually contains their answer. Or finally the worst response: "I am going to reply but not answer your question, I'm going to wax philosphocally on the topic". We have people on this forum like that, oh yes we do.

oops, maybe I'm one of those :b

Last edited:
Well, there are forums that have so much written that most people just go there and READ. And those sites aren't very active--and they are pretty boring to be honest with you.

Newbies are the ones that keep a forum active and alive. And afterall, many of us enjoy the personal interreaction with individuals. It's not just an information site--it's also a social site where we all enjoy the trials and tribulations and enjoyment of wine and like talking with each other. And learning from one another in a personal sense.

Don't be so hard on yourself, Thig. I understood what you were saying and I agree with you. But I don't want new people to think we are a click here that does not like allowing newbies in, as some sites seem to do. Everyone should just feel free to even ask for hand-holding if needs be. Some people feel better when they have a hand to hold. I'm up for anything--as are many on this site. For myself, I'm just here to help as best I can as I enjoy teaching.

Newbies are the ones that keep a forum active and alive. And afterall, many of us enjoy the personal interreaction with individuals. It's not just an information site--it's also a social site where we all enjoy the trials and tribulations and enjoyment of wine and like talking with each other. And learning from one another in a personal sense.

Very well said. I couldn't agree more. Additionally we have the best Mods in the net . . . when the're not in the corner.:)

After reading all these post, I think I will change my thinking. I have always held back from answering questions because I am so new to wine making. When I read a post and the reply I often say "That's exactly what I would say". I guess, if I post my thoughts on a subject it just may help someone or someone will correct my thinking. I have seen a few post where the question ask, was not addressed at all, but a lot of other stuff was addressed. I'm gonna try, by giving my advice, bare with me, I'm gonna make mistakes, correct me when I'm wrong.
Semper Fi

I think I am in the same boat as Ernest, but I am not
in the same league as some of the newer members. Knowledge
comes slowly to me.

Bill

One of the best ways to learn is to teach.

And some of the best discussions start with someone who doesn't quite have a handle on the subject. Everyone comes in and fills in the holes and then everyone ends up learning. Just as long as everyone is respectful, a lot can be learned in those types of situations.

One of the best pieces of advice that can be given to beginners is to provide as much info as possible when asking a question. If you're making a kit, tell us the exact name. Provide specific gravity readings, temperatures, recipes, everything. It makes it easier to answer the question.

Steve

Latest posts

Back