Beginners - don't be offended

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thig

Reaction score
I have only been making wine for about 2 years so I am very much a beginner myself but let me say this for your benefit, READ. I am sure I asked a lot of questions in the beginning that could have been answered if I had done a little reading in the beginning.

Everyone here is ready and willing to help but I am amazed daily at some of the most basic questions that are asked and wouldn't need to be asked if the beginner would devote a little time to read through the process of making wine.

This forum is a little more forgiving of asking those questions than the Gotmead forum. They tell you up front you are expected to educate yourself on the basic processes and equipment needed.

As a beginner, I will second that point. In the couple of weeks I've been reading this forum, I have found a TON of information. Almost any question I could have asked (and some I did ask) could have been easily answered with a few minutes using the Search feature (Advanced Search works really well). There seems to be a post about every imaginable topic (usually a bunch of them).

I appreciate the help I've been getting (and yes, this forum is very forgiving, compared to some I won't mention). But I for one plan to try not to take advantage of the kindness.

Mark

An aging ex-hippie, can't believe you don't have guitars in your interest.

Although I still ask questions that I may could have found an answer for, I try to research Winemakingtalk first.The way I do it is, in google, I type winemaking talk and ask the question that way I generally only get answers from here. I understand there is another way of doing it but it works for me.

asking for help!!!!

There are a ton of qualified winemakers on this site who if they don't know the answer can direct you to someone or some where to help, and by the way self help is ones gift to ones self. Thig is correct no matter what you ask you need to read and process, then read and ask, then process again the more you do the more you understand no matter how long that process is.It's a learning curve and everyone learns at a different rate. Fell free to ask......:ib

Although I still ask questions that I may could have found an answer for, I try to research Winemakingtalk first.The way I do it is, in google, I type winemaking talk and ask the question that way I generally only get answers from here. I understand there is another way of doing it but it works for me.

I am sure your way is fine. For me, "site: winemakingtalk.com keyword1 keyword2" flows off my fingertips pretty routinely.

I like to use the search AND post my question. People come and go on WMT over time. So I search to see what has been said by some folks that might not be active right now. Then I might post my question to see what others say or to see if opinions have changed. In winemaking things do change.

I do not mind answering questions at all. Usually the same questions over and over and over and over again. My answers get better every time. It helps me, being only a few years into this hobby myself, to frequently review the basics.

Still, self-education is wise. One should always cross-reference what you read with what you are told. Especially on the internet.

teaching helps me learn, I don't mind answering questions but with that being said when you receive your kit it comes with complete instructions plus wine is very forgiving. before you start read the directions then read them again, then read them before you proceed to the next step and re read the next step. I can't stress enough TAKE NOTES! A journal dedicated to only wine making helps a lot and please make sure you have the equipment before you start...I don't mean the expensive stuff I'm talking about a bucket big enough to handle how much your making, a hydrometer is the most important thing with a test cylinder and a simple thermometer rather it be a floating or a digital The only thing that we recommend you doing that your kit instructions differ from is the aging and bottling time. That's my input on this topic:b

I'm definitely guilty. That was at first I didn't realize how much information is really on here. But if u do look around I say 9 times out of ten you'll find what u need. Also not everybody makes kits. I dont and probably never will that's just a personal choice. And I probably dont have every single nutrient or chemical needed to make certain recipes so I do ask if a specific additive can be left out or if there's any replacement or alternatives. So in a way I disagree and in a way I agree because if u just ignorantly dont bother too look to me its lazy. One day I hope ill be the one who can answer questions.

I'm definitely guilty. That was at first I didn't realize how much information is really on here. But if u do look around I say 9 times out of ten you'll find what u need. Also not everybody makes kits. I dont and probably never will that's just a personal choice. And I probably dont have every single nutrient or chemical needed to make certain recipes so I do ask if a specific additive can be left out or if there's any replacement or alternatives. So in a way I disagree and in a way I agree because if u just ignorantly dont bother too look to me its lazy. One day I hope ill be the one who can answer questions.

I too was guilty of asking a lot of questions to start.
I started by making wines from fresh fruit but one of my favs is cab and we don't have the zone to grow that grape sooo I still ask questions to get opinions such as which yeast is best for a particular wine or such. And if you stay with this hobby long enough you will be ordering kits, kits are great to have while your waiting on your fresh fruit to drop all the sediment, you can't bottle wine made from fresh fruit as soon as you can from a kit:b

A lot of the beginner questions are asked because they do not yet know what they are doing and are worries they may have messed up. They are in a hurry for a answer so rather than take time to look they just ask. Don't blame them at all. The part that amazes me is folks answering the same question over and over without getting upset about it. Anyway, after the first couple of panic posts, I kinda think most of the folks start reading back thru the forum and get a lot of their questions answered by reading. Arne.

I honestly do not mind answering any question asked.

A lot of times, just a little more one-on-one guidance in the beginning really goes a long way in orientating newbies.

I personally hate it when I am seeking some all over guidance and the person I ask says... "go read a book".

I say, ask away, if that makes you more comfortable.

I wonder if the expectation that people ought to have more basic knowledge before they ask basic questions is more problematic than you might think. There is a kind of Zen aspect to this. You can read all you want about a topic but until you really need the information what you have read is really not going to be part of who you are. So what happens is that people MAY think that they have the basic knowledge they need but when they begin they realize that they are swimming in the ocean and not in the paddling pool. But at that point the idea of having to wade through dozens - perhaps hundreds of posts to make sense of discussions that may/may not be addressing their specific needs is numbing. Far easier is to simply ask their question. To the seasoned wine maker or the expert such questions may be incredibly basic but to the novice their questions are at the very edge of their understanding. And the fact that they are asking these questions suggests - perhaps - that they may be ready for the answers.

I agree that it's helpful for new winemakers to do some study. You should understand what all the chemistries do that you are using instead of just adding them blindly when following a recipe.

However, it takes some degree of experience and working with ferments to reinforce how and WHEN some additions are to be made. And I have to say that some white papers merely discuss what THEIR lab has developed so they can be kind of slanted. And SOME winemaking books have alot of old and not very good advice in them.

I have always enjoyed helping the new winemakers and it doesn't matter to me that I have to say the same thing over and over again. I'm here to help THEM with whatever they need. It's NOT about me.

This is a forum--a forum is for discussion. Don't worry about those that don't like to answer the same thing over again. If they don't like doing it----then they won't. But there are many of us on here that painfully remember out newbie years and were searching for a mentor to help us, and are willing to help guide the new winemakers along. So just don't worry about it--ask away!!!

I didn't post this to discourage questions, I posted it to encouraging READING. I have answered (and asked) a lot of questions myself. But if beginners would just read the five "stickies" in the Beginner Forum then probably 95% of the answers to their initial questions would be found. I am not trying to be the bad guy here and there is no reason to pile on, maybe I just like reading better than some.

I agree with both sides of this. Being a noob myself I'm sure I asked some stupid questions. I've been obsessed with reading on this forum to the point my wife gets annoyed with me at times. I even read things I have no interest in just to help my understanding of things. So far the best way for me to learn something is by applying it. You can read and read but until you apply some things it doesn't sink in. I've been in the middle of doing something and find myself searching around on here. 9 out of 10 times I can find answers quick by just searching. There are some things that I need a specific answer to my application that I need to ask. Two very useful things I use that I haven't seen mentioned on here is a calculator and a conversion chart or app of some sort. I've found that most chemical doses are written out for 5-6 gallons. I've done several 1 gallon batches and find myself searching for post regarding the proper dose of different things. I've found what I was looking for with a lot if digging. Then that's where a conversion app on my phone comes in. After I find the answer I write it down in my notebook so I can reference later as said in another post. Just simple things us noobs look over without knowing can be annoying I'm sure. I thank everyone that has helped me thus far and I'm sure I'll have questions in the future. I'm always trying to learn as much as possible!

Thig, I don't think anyone's jumping on you, you're thought is just fine. I think everyone's comments show how helpful this community really is. I think I must have asked about degassing 10 times after reading about degassing 20 times, but until I had some reassurances and then some experience I just didn't grasp the concept. Sometimes being told to "sound it out" isn't the must helpful advice.
Mike

I think I must have asked about degassing 10 times after reading about degassing 20 times...

I could have made an assumption here I shouldn't have, that is just because you ask a question doesn't mean you haven't read about it.

If nothing else I guess I got a discussion going about reading.

Latest posts

Back