Baco Noir and Seyval Blanc in Utah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
72 vines, 12 grape clusters. It's there second year and I picked all the clusters off a long time ago. Left a few just for fun. Yes the birds are loving them. Can't wait till next year.

Baco Noir and Seyval Blanc in Utah

62 here today. I am wearing shorts this afternoon. Sandhill Cranes are heading North everyday this week overhead. Stick a fork in Winter.

I think I would panic! It just isn't spring yet and if those vines start growing............................

Oh well, might as well enjou the weather!
It was a balmy -5 today air temp with a nice stiff wind. Only got to -14F last night and will be around there tonight. You guys enjoy it!

We have been getting the precip, just not the BITTER cold like you guys in the NE. This week we got another 10" of snow in the mountains and ski areas but we got all rain down in the lower elevations (townsite). Supposed to get another round of snow on Monday. So moisture is good but temps are above normal for sure.

View attachment 21409
Pruned last week and ready for a crop. Will be putting in some Prairie Star were I tore out the Pinot Gris. Weather here is unbelievable. Hope it lasts.

"Pruining is Done!" Three very tasty words indeed.

This is a great thread. Sorry to hear about the Pinot varieties going to the great vineyard in the sky. I'm interested in seeing how the new varieties you plant will do.

I'm just waiting for the time when the Phylloxera plague strikes my vineyard (Big Barn Vineyard). It was planted by the previous owner using simple un-cloned Vinifera varieties. The growers in my area (Willamette Valley, Oregon) tell me that its just a matter of time before it strikes and my vineyard is about the right age for those root lice to show up. I'm going to replant with hybrids when they show or maybe I'll steal a march on the little buggers and start replanting before they do. Posters in this sub-forum are giving me pointers for what to try.

This is all a long winded way to say that by documenting your experience with your varieties you are helping others. :br

Thanks

This is all a long winded way to say that by documenting your experience with your varieties you are helping others. :br

Thanks. There is practically no one here in Utah to help me. Without this site, I would be lost!

That would sure have me worried! We had one year where spring arrived really early and it actually stayed warm, so good luck. Hope it goes well!

You are ahead of me. Even though we have had some nice days with 70 degree highs the lows have been around 32 most mornings. Things are still pretty dormant with not much swelling. This could be an early Spring without a late Spring frost. Keep your fingers crossed!

I just pruned my first year vines the past weekend, just a few. They are still very dormant, no sign of spring. We still get night temp below freezing. I moved some of my over-wintered plants outside, then moved them inside the garage again for night protection.

I actually prefer the vines to stay dormant longer. So no spring damage if all possible.

View attachment 21483View attachment 21484

Bud break in Utah in March! Good Lord!

Early bud break here too (Oregon). We are about 4-6 weeks ahead of schedule. Hail is in the forecast tomorrow, followed by the return of cold weather. Buckle up and keep your hands inside the car ladies and gentlemen, this roller coaster is going to give everybody a memorable ride.

Any spray we can do to help reducing early spring cold damage? I think there should be some, but I do just do not know....

Latest posts

Back