Backyard Vines Need Help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickG

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all! Before I make a few huge mistakes, I need some professional directions here. I want to grow these Merlot vines bi-lateral cordon style with 3-4 wires above but need to know where to prune and cut to get things going! These are all 2 year old vines I believe. Any help is appreciated, best bet is to probably edit/markup these photos and point out where to cut. Thanks all!

Attachments

• IMG_6079.jpg
    IMG_6079.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6080.jpg
    IMG_6080.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6081.jpg
    IMG_6081.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6082.jpg
    IMG_6082.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 28
It’s not really possible to make unrecoverable mistakes at this point but you can do some things that will help meet your training goals more efficiently. Basically you just want to cut everything back to just one or two buds. Let the vines focus all of their energy into establishing the trunk this year. You’ll need stakes to tie each of the shoots to. Pinch off any flowers. If they make it to your fruiting wire this year, you can cut them off above it and let them put out lateral growth. Are those cuttings or did you bury the graft union? If grafted, you don’t want to bury the union as you don’t want the Merlot scion sending out roots.

Latest posts

Back