WineXpert Back Sweetening Vitners Reserve Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanPond

Reaction score
I have a Vitners Reserve Pinot Noir that is in step 3 for about a week. Looks like it is clearing very well. This is my first kit and last night curiosity got the best of me as I was degassing a World Vitners German Meuller. While I had the wine thief out a stole a small taste of the Pinot Noir and it was tart and appeared to be very thin. First taste of a wine kit and it is very early. I know I have to wait and let it age. You just don't know what you don't know. I have been planning on back sweetening as my wife likes reds that are a little sweeter. I planned on using a simple syrup for doing this. I then saw on "The Wine Maker's Toy Store" a "Red Grape Concentrate - Gives wine more body, flavor, aroma; For RED wines". Has anyone used this before and advise for or against? Based on the description additional sweetening would still need to be done.

Now its back to work so I can afford upgraded kits.

I did this as my first kit also. It is thin and don't expect it to age much at all. My bottles that are 1.5 years old taste pretty much the same as they did at 4 months. I use them mostly for topping up now. You may have been better off getting a mist kit if you like them sweet. If you decide to sweeten, use a simple syrup - 2-1 sugar to water ratio. Try a few test glasses to get the right level of sugar. Make sure you added all the chemicals or you will have blown corks.

MN-winer,

thanks for the update. I'll probably do the simple syrup for backsweetening. That will be part of the learning process. I've added all the chemicals per the kit instructions. Sounds like I should be adding additional k-meta and sorbate if I'm going to backsweeten just to be safe.

If you have already added the sulfite/sorbate from the kit you do not have to add any more to backsweeten. Sorbate only needs to be added once and additional sulfite ( 1/4 tsp per 23 liter carboy) is only needed if you are keeping the wine for an extended period of time - being your first kit, I expect it won't last long!
If you wish to "thicken" your wine a bit you could try adding some glycerine to it - this would be available at your wine supply store.

Latest posts

Back