Are sorbates or pastuerized OK for must?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TENNISTOWINE

Reaction score
Can I use concentrates that have sorbates added or juices that have been pastuerized to use in my must?

It is not a good idea to use something with sorbate because the purpose of sorbate is to stop yeast growth.

It is not a good idea to use something with sorbate because the purpose of sorbate is to stop yeast growth.

Which is hard to get fermentation started because it already has stuff in it that can kill off the wine yeast you are trying to add to it. It doesn't mean it can't be done, it's just harder.

It's best to use 100% juice concentrate. Things like Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) which is listed on Welch's grape juice isn't a problem.

Ascorbic acid is actually something I add to my lighter fruit wines to aid in the wine not oxidizing. With wines like apple or pear they are very prone to becoming dark just like taking a bite out of an apple and leaving it there. I add the ascorbic along with the small amount of sulfite as that small amount of sulfite isnt enough to prevent oxidation, just enough to hold off wild yeast. I would not use anything with sorbate or you are asking for a stuck fermentation. Sorbate is there to prevent yeast from multiplying so you will probably get a fermentation going but keeping it going may be the problem.

Sorry, I got messed up - I meant sulfite. Welches says it added sulfites to preserve the flavor and something else I forgot. I did not buy it because I was mixed up with sorbate. Is it ok if juice is pastuerized?

Pastuerized is ok and the Welche's with sulfites is also OK, you dont need to add any additional sulfites thouhg due to the processing off these kinds of juices.

Latest posts

Back