Adding campden before or after adding concentrate to water?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edd1001

Junior
Reaction score
So I'm making a wine kit where you combine water and concentrate.

I plan to use a campden tablet to remove chloramine from my tap water. Do I have to treat the water separately first, or can I simply add the campden to the final prepared must?

So I'm making a wine kit where you combine water and concentrate.

I plan to use a campden tablet to remove chloramine from my tap water. Do I have to treat the water separately first, or can I simply add the campden to the final prepared must?
As far as I’m aware, the potassium metabisulfite wont do that. Or at least in 30+ years of wine making I’ve never heard of that. Better to go to the store and buy filtered or distilled water. I use filtered tap water just to be extra safe. But we have fine tap water and would not be hesitant to use it if I needed several gallons and didn’t want to spend 20 minutes filtering water.

As far as I’m aware, the potassium metabisulfite wont do that. Or at least in 30+ years of wine making I’ve never heard of that. Better to go to the store and buy filtered or distilled water. I use filtered tap water just to be extra safe. But we have fine tap water and would not be hesitant to use it if I needed several gallons and didn’t want to spend 20 minutes filtering water.

Oh so for beer homebrewing I have an RV hose filter, and then always treat with campden.

First time making a wine kit and was planning to do the same.

Though I realize now the wine kit was $130, ingredients for beer are closer to $20-$30, so buying water for wine is almost negligible.

More so about not lugging around the water from the store at that point.

Latest posts

Back