Anybody Using Multiple 1 Gallon Jugs For Making A Batch Of Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

critterhunter

Reaction score
Since I've only got one 6.5 gal carboy at this time I'd like to find other ways to be making some while that one is in use. I've got about 7 one gallon glass wine jugs sitting around doing nothing. Do any of you guys do say a big batch of wine by using a bunch of 1 gallon jugs instead of one big carboy? If so, I could use any tips for this process.

I have made some in 1 gallon glass carboys - but to be honest - i won't do it again. It takes just as much work and effort to do a 6 gallon as it does to do a 1 gallon.

I have also thought about making smaller batches of wine just for a test. I have bought 3 gal. carboys and have persimmon wine started in one and hard apple cider in the other. My first batch of wine I made is wild plum and I made 5 gallons of it. I'm not sure it will be worth drinking since I made so many mistakes along the way. Does smaller batches ferment at a different rate? I have a lot of jalapenos and thought about starting a 1 gal batch of wine with them.

I do only 1 gallon batches in Glass carboys right now. I also do not see the harm in splitting up a batch of wine in a 5 gallon primary into 5 1 gallon secondaries. We had started 2 gallons of Black Berry wine and have that batch sittin in two glass 1 gallon secondaries and they're doing just grand.

This post got me thinking. I have a 5 gallon carboy but I was planning on buying a 6 gallon when I start doing wine (Making beer and apfelwein now). Does anyone see a problem with just using the 5 gallon carboy and a one 4L jug too. Or would it be more of a pain in the butt. Of course everyone could use an extra carboy, but I'm trying not to spend any more money on equipment. Unless It is necessary. thanks.

This post got me thinking. I have a 5 gallon carboy but I was planning on buying a 6 gallon when I start doing wine (Making beer and apfelwein now). Does anyone see a problem with just using the 5 gallon carboy and a one 4L jug too. Or would it be more of a pain in the butt. Of course everyone could use an extra carboy, but I'm trying not to spend any more money on equipment. Unless It is necessary. thanks.

This is fine, but I would not bother with 5 one gallon jugs as your doing five times as much labor. I almost always buy 7 gallons of juice and ferment in the primary bucket. Then I rack to a six and one gallon carboy. This way I always have enough for topping off. The extra gallon eventually goes into a three liter then a half gallon jug.

LOL how do u guys get rid of sooo much wine - I have 12 x 1 gallon demijohns on the go, all with something different in them (not sure what they will be like, and which I will like!!) - my only large container is a 4 gall carboy full of cider (I think over the water there, u boys seem to think apple juice is cider!) - maybe if I ever find what I like (& what I can successfully make), I might try these 5 gall and bigger containers, but I think SWMBO would throw a complete fit if those immovable things started appearing in the house!

LOL how do u guys get rid of sooo much wine -
, but I think SWMBO would throw a complete fit if those immovable things started appearing in the house!

Are you kidding get rid of wine, we collect it and let it age. Of course you have to have a cellar or wine room big enough to store it properly. The second part of the equation is making plenty of wine that your spouse loves. This gains there approval for future adventures and growth. I have about 1000 bottles and another 130 gallons in carboys. This is the point you can start having wine parties at any moment or meet with other wine makers and take plenty to trade. If your not making wine your spouse and friends like I don't advise this. Take a second look at what you're making first.

I do large batches in gallon jugs as the secondary all the time. Start it off in the primary and when you rack it, put it in the jugs. I have never had a problem with this and have seen that the wine clears twice as fast in the smaller containers. If you don't mind the extra work, there is nothing wrong with it.

By the way, before I got multiple carboy's, I did everything in the jugs, primary and secondary. Got some aging in them now. Go for it. :h

My wife isn't a big fan of the brewing (only beer and apfelwein so far) becuase her daddy is a southern babtist preacher :slp. Also we are in need of a bigger house. But she is coming around as she likes the apfelwein. Also we keep the fermentors in our Large master bedroom closet so its out of site.

Sooner or later the wine will have to come out of the closet despite the FIL. :) (don't ask don't tell). If your place is that small and wife lets you ferment in the BR closet you have a pretty cool wife. I wouldn't push it. But now lets look at places in you FIL's church, full kitchen set up, storage rooms and wine for the members!
Do you ever keep the closet doors open at night so you can hear the fermentation?

I enjoy using my 1 gallon jugs for all sorts, they do ferment faster in smaller batches and clear faster too.

Allie

I like my 1 gallon jugs for bulk storage and to arrange blending parties. If all the bottles get drank, I know I have a couple jugs stashed! The only way I can psych myself out into not drinking ALL the good stuff. The blending parties are a lot of fun...invite friends over and mix various types using your friend's palates as the guide, ultimately bottling the best blends immediately to store for special occassions or competitions.

Disclamer: I've only been brewing for about 9 months. ;)

I started in all 1g jugs, then I wanted to brew more at a time, so I bought 3 gallon jugs. I currently have 6 3g carboys, 4 1g jugs and 2 1/2g jugs. Usually I brew to about 4g in the primary, rack to a 3g and 1g secondary, then I've been waiting for the wine to clear, racking to a 3g and 1/2g (1g goes into the 3g first so it's all basically the same). Seems to work pretty well so far.

I think the only downside of smaller jugs is that temp changes will effect it faster.

Sooner or later the wine will have to come out of the closet despite the FIL. :) (don't ask don't tell). If your place is that small and wife lets you ferment in the BR closet you have a pretty cool wife. I wouldn't push it. But now lets look at places in you FIL's church, full kitchen set up, storage rooms and wine for the members!
Do you ever keep the closet doors open at night so you can hear the fermentation?

LMAO

FIL will get over it eventually. I guess the real problem is our 2 and 4 year old wanna be foot ball players running around. I guess I have to my wife a little credit for being cool with it..I have a pretty good idea she will be getting me my wine kit and equipment for christmass. hehehehe.

I'm sure we could find some closet alkies at the church, but they are a 4 hour drive away. thank god.

Latest posts

Back