Another Campden tablet question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plmac

Junior
Reaction score
I know the answer is in here some where I just haven't found it by searching.

Someplace I read that the campden tablets (crushed) won't disolve in the wine because of the alcohol and you need to disolve them in water first.
Is there a standard practice of how to add the campden to wine?
Crush and add powder to wine or Disolve in waterfirst?

Also can I add the sorbate at the same time (stabilizing) or do I need to wait for the campden to start doing it's think?

My recipe is in my first post below.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15955

You should crush and dissolve in a few drops of water or wine before adding to the carboy. For myself I buy sulfite in a bag as a powder. I add the appropriate amount to the bottom of my carboy. Since I have just rinsed my carboy out there remains a small amount of water in the carboy, very small amount.

With this small amount of moisture in there the sulfite will start to dissolve. Next I rack my wine into the carboy and with this action will blend the sulfite throughout.

You can add your sorbate at the same time. Do as the same procedure outlined in the above paragraph.

When wine is fermented, I add 1/4 teaspoon per 5 gallons. Sorbate is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

At the racking to clear off of the sediment just add a pinch of sulfite. No further sorbate is required. Sorbate only need added if you are back sweetening.

Last edited:
Steve,
Sorbate is 1/2tsp per gal. Is yours stronger?

Good question do the chemicals come in differant strengths?

Is there only one potassium sorbate?

My is labled: SORBISTAT (potassium sorbate)
Stabilize sweet wine; add 1 tsp per gallon
before bottling.

That would be double or four times what your using. :sh

sorry guys my bad and thanks Tom.

Sorbate is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. I corrected the above.

Actually 1/2 teaspoon is a bit more than needed but it is too hard to measure a hair less than 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

Don't over dose sorbate.

Latest posts

Back