Another blackberry wine question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilesDavis

Reaction score
Here's what I started with:
18lbs of crushed blackberries.
4lbs honey
8lbs cane sugar.
14quarts of water.
Starting SG was 1.095.
I slightly modified a recipe I found online, which is why I added water. Anywho, I'm concerned about having enough berry flavor in the finished product, so I was thinking of crushing up and straining a few pounds of berries to make syrup and add it in for flavor.
The questions:
Can I do it, and is it a good idea?
When should I add it?
Should I add a Campden tablet to the syrup? Pectic enzyme?

i would let it ferment to completion, then if you plan to back sweeten i would add the campden and sorbate, then i would add the blackberry simple syrup.

How big of a b batch is this, you didn't say. you should always have 5 # of fruit per gallon. And if you have not added the yeast yet go ahead and add the syrup. What yeast are you planning on using, I would use Lavlin 71B 1122

You shouldn't add water. It will dilute your juice.
You should always use pectin enzyme if available 12-24 hours prior to adding yeast and 12-24 hours after adding sulfite. (Sulfite-wait-pectin enzyme-wait-yeast).

This may help you
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f5/basic-juice-fermentation-wine-18266/
I discovered this site after I already had it going. Hopefully, it will at least be drinkable.

How big of a b batch is this, you didn't say. you should always have 5 # of fruit per gallon. And if you have not added the yeast yet go ahead and add the syrup. What yeast are you planning on using, I would use Lavlin 71B 1122
The total volume is about 6 gallons. The fruit/water ratio is around 5lbs. The sugar/honey added a gallon of volume on their own, which I hadn't considered ahead of time.

I'm using Montrachet yeast.

Not sure if I'm going to backsweeten, but I might like to add the syrup (after fermentation) just to up the berry flavor.

You can use the syrup to boost the flavor. I would reduce it down by simmering to get rid of some of the water, tho. Make sure you stabalize it before adding or you will probably get a referment. from it. Also make sure you keep the nutrients up with the Montrachet yeast. It has a habit of giving you some sulfer dioxide oders. (Think rotten eggs.) Nutrient keeps the yeast happy. Good luck with it, Arne.

agree with arne,,,make sure you use the nutrient, and I would add some about 1/2 through fermentation just to be on the safe said...Montrachet is known for causing h2s.....

I racked this batch about a week ago, and it's already clearing very nicely. Doesn't taste too bad, either.
Edit: Next time I rack this, I'm going to degas, stabilize, add my f-pac and an oak spiral. Sound about right?

Last edited:
I racked this batch about a week ago, and it's already clearing very nicely. Doesn't taste too bad, either.
Edit: Next time I rack this, I'm going to degas, stabilize, add my f-pac and an oak spiral. Sound about right?

Sounds awesome! I'd stabilize and wait a few days before adding f-pak though. Just to make sure nothing wakes up ;)

Latest posts

Back