WineXpert Amarone!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Jim for the push! Steve shipped me one last night :h

Back on thread topic, I'm starting the Amarone tonight!

You will like this one very much. Yesterday, I was puttering around the wine room and decided to sample the Amarone and the Forza; and, get my wife's input on them as well. Both were fermented to dry and got added tannins. The major difference between them is I added a cup of raisins in the primary with the Amarone. We agree that the Amarone, while a few months younger than the Forza, is showing more flavor and will likely be bottled and drinking sooner.

I added a cup of raisins in the primary with the Amarone. We agree that the Amarone, while a few months younger than the Forza, is showing more flavor and will likely be bottled and drinking sooner.

I followed yours (and Steve's and Joe'swine) advice and added some raisins and tannin to the primary, along with the supplied 2 x RC-212 yeast. 24 hours later and it's foaming like the sea on a very stormy day! But it does smell gorgeous :h

I followed yours (and Steve's and Joe'swine) advice and added some raisins and tannin to the primary, along with the supplied 2 x RC-212 yeast. 24 hours later and it's foaming like the sea on a very stormy day! But it does smell gorgeous :h

If the fermentation gets earthy on you, don't panic. It will fade.

Ok, you guys sold me on this one. Question, which Tannin did you add to the primary?

With my schedule next week, I'm going to rack this today and move the Fourtitude to clearing.

There's about an inch of sediment at the bottom, so I'll be heading out to find a suitable topping wine this afternoon.

Rack, dose w KMeta and let it sit another 3 months. Will bottle this and the Forza in August.

Last edited:
I was surprised that I needed very little to top up. Opted for a Valpolicello. I don't have a 5 gal carboy, else I'd have pushed it into the 5 and bottled what was left.

Good choice. Valpolicella Ripasso would be the best bet if you find yourself needing an Amarone top up in the future. I call it a "Baby Amarone".

Good choice. Valpolicella Ripasso would be the best bet if you find yourself needing an Amarone top up in the future. I call it a "Baby Amarone".

I looked. I'm a big fan of the Ripasso. State store selection in PA sucks. They had a very nice $18 Ripasso. But no more.

So, it was either a $15 Valpolicello or a $30 Amarone. If I bought the latter, I may have sampled too much and had to go out and get another. Turned out that I only needed about 375 ml to top up.

Last edited:
A month and a week later and I thiefed out an ounce or so to taste. It is excellent right now - 5 months from starting fermentation. I could bottle this with no tweaks and be very pleased with myself.

I may just rack in August/September and then bottle in December, though. I need to pace myself with the wine that is drinking right now. I worry that if I bottle too soon, I'll start dipping into this one before its time.

Last edited:
26 @ 750ml; and 8 @ 375ml. Still need to capsule and label. But the work part of bottling is over.

Saved a half a bottle for a taste a little later this weekend... In the fridge, calling me.

SG was 1.095
At 1.016 I chapitalized it back up to 1.024
Then fermented to zero, 0.990

If I did it the math right, I'm at about 15% ABV.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back