WineXpert Amarone!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will start mine this WE. I just rack a batch of island mist strawberry merlot this afternoon.
Had to think of my wife...:h

I would have thought that a Valpolicella would have been a better choice for a top off.

Mrs Mann and I were thieving tastes of the wines I've got going. This was the favorite out of 5. Seriously, it was pleasing after just a couple months. Fruity, dense... Powerful. The tweaks from Joeswine were absolutely spot on.

If it's this good now, what will it be like in a year... Or two. This one has the potential to edge the SLD Merlot out as my favorite of all kits I've done.

Last edited:
I've read so many posts and threads on this kit that I've just ordered one! Thanks for the inspiration :)

By all means. You're welcome. Take a look at the thread started by Steve from AIO and follow the tweaks (tannin and raisins in the primary, oak chips in the finish). You won't be disappointed.

Thanks Jim. I looked through that thread and he said he added a tablespoon of tannin - is that correct? Sounds like a lot!

With reference to the raisins - just chuck in a handful?

Thanks Jim. I looked through that thread and he said he added a tablespoon of tannin - is that correct? Sounds like a lot!

With reference to the raisins - just chuck in a handful?

I put a cup of raisins in with the grape pack and the tannin. Here's the thread:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50428

And, here's the response I got from Steve when I asked those questions:

Originally Posted by jgmann67 View Post

Steve -

Before you finish up, a few questions.

How much raisin did you add to your primary?

It was just a good hand full

Did you do anything to prep the raisins (a little mashing perhaps to get more out of them), or just pour them into the bucket?

Just put them in the fermenter

As far as the extra oak and tannin - what kind and how much of each?

Tannin - I believe about a tablespoon ?

I did not add any additional oak that was provided until I cold stabilized which I used heavy American Oak - 2 full handfuls

Last edited:
It's been a week or so since I lasted posted. The wine is aging in a carboy pretty much undisturbed. While in the basement starting a WE Selection Malbec with my brother (his first wine kit), we got to do some tasting. His favorite was the Forza, but it was interesting how much more alike the Forza and the Amarone are right now.

I'd like to ask a couple of questions to all who have made this kit as I'm about to start one.

What final ABV did you achieve, and if you had to top up the carboy for bulk aging, what kind of wine did you use? I visited my supermarket and the cheapest Amarone was £16 a bottle - compared to the kit which cost £110.

Many thanks in advance as always :)

I'd like to ask a couple of questions to all who have made this kit as I'm about to start one.

What final ABV did you achieve, and if you had to top up the carboy for bulk aging, what kind of wine did you use? I visited my supermarket and the cheapest Amarone was £16 a bottle - compared to the kit which cost £110.

Mine landed somewhere between 15.5 and 16% ABV. I topped off with a Bardolino. But, you can also use a Corvina, Sangiovese, Barolo... A nice Valpolicello or Ripasso would work very well.

You can also use the Headspace eliminator sale by Vacuumpumpman.:h
It's what I do. ;)

You can also use the Headspace eliminator sale by Vacuumpumpman.:h
It's what I do. ;)

Alas, that's not an option for me... the clue being my forum name - I'm a Brit (British, English, UK etc) and they don't ship to my island :(

But many thanks to Jim for a more helpful reply :h

Last edited:
Alas, that's not an option for me... the clue being my forum name - I'm a Brit (British, English, UK etc) and they don't ship to my island :(

You may be able to rig up your own headspace eliminator. Personally, I'm happy to just top up with a like-wine and have 2.5 cases at the end.

Oh, but he does ship to the UK. I have no idea what the rate is though.

Latest posts

Back