aging stage...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosa6329

Reaction score
So i started a cab wine kit January 17th. On January 28th it reached .996 and I racked it into a carboy added sulfite, sorbate, kieselsol and chitosan and i topped it off. I racked it again February 9th to get the sediments out and i topped it off. I racked it another time march 10 and there was barely any sediments and I topped off. Do you think I am done racking it? Can I finally put it to rest and let it age?Should I add any more sulfite or anything? What do you think?

You likely didn't really need to do that last racking, at least not that soon. When the wine has been cleared and racked, much less sediment will fall out again. I would not worry about the wine setting on that little bit of sediment. You can rack again when you are ready to bottle. If you are not going to bottle for a year or so, it wouldn't hurt to rack at 6 months, if there is even any sediment to rack off.

The idea is that you don't have to rack every time a tiny bit of sediment clooects.

If you can't actually measure the level of free SO2, just add about 1/8th teaspoon of Kmeta every 2 months. That should take care of the wine just fine.

If you can't actually measure the level of free SO2, just add about 1/8th teaspoon of Kmeta every 2 months. That should take care of the wine just fine.

ok should I add it now and do it every two months or should I wait two months from now and do it? When adding it, do I need to stir it?

So i started a cab wine kit January 17th. On January 28th it reached .996 and I racked it into a carboy added sulfite, sorbate, kieselsol and chitosan and i topped it off. I racked it again February 9th to get the sediments out and i topped it off. I racked it another time march 10 and there was barely any sediments and I topped off. Do you think I am done racking it? Can I finally put it to rest and let it age?Should I add any more sulfite or anything? What do you think?

Rosa,
I don't see any mention of degassing. Did you degass after you added sulfite and sorbate?

LOUMIK

Back