Aging question ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natrix

Avid wine drinker
Reaction score
My wine are now degas and I add the clarifying product on each kit yesterday. I want to bulk age in carboys, but I want to know if I should let them in the fermenting room at 72°F for few days or I can (r should)move it now to a cooler part of my basement ?

Ok, thx for the info. Should I rack it every 3 months ?

Rack every 3 months, if needed. If not, don't rack. Just add the kmeta every 3 or 4 months.

If it is lower to mid range kits that you're doing I think 2 months bulk age followed by 1-2 months bottle aging followed by popping a cork and starting consumption is the way to go. At 72 years of age, even with high end kits, no more than 3 months bulk and 3 months bottle aging and I begin to enjoy the fruits of my labor. :dg

If it is lower to mid range kits that you're doing I think 2 months bulk age followed by 1-2 months bottle aging followed by popping a cork and starting consumption is the way to go. At 72 years of age, even with high end kits, no more than 3 months bulk and 3 months bottle aging and I begin to enjoy the fruits of my labor. :dg

Lol, bkisel. I usually let mine sit a bit longer than that, but think one of these days the kids are going to have to figure out how to finish some of this stuff. Even if it means sitting around my kitchen table, keeping the glasses full and bsing about "wonder how the old man got this stuff ready to bottle."
Least I hope they drink it and don't pour it. Arne.

Lol, bkisel. I usually let mine sit a bit longer than that, but think one of these days the kids are going to have to figure out how to finish some of this stuff. Even if it means sitting around my kitchen table, keeping the glasses full and bsing about "wonder how the old man got this stuff ready to bottle."

I'm thinking the same thing Arne, everyone loves drinking it but it seems no a has much of an interest in making it! Dale.

I have to agree with Arne... it certainly depends on what kind of wine you're making and what conditions you're storing them in, but I've concluded from our wines that about a year is when they really integrate and begin their real potential. However unlike making wine, I don't think there's a wrong way to drink it. :h

And to add to your first question, cooler and constant temp is always best after fermentation.

And to add to your first question, cooler and constant temp is always best after fermentation.

It is sitting in a dark cool place in my basement at around 56 since 2 days now. I will let them there as long as possible. :h

It is sitting in a dark cool place in my basement at around 56 since 2 days now. I will let them there as long as possible. :h

For your future wines, Not really necessary to perform a specific degassing step. If you're considering an extended aging period, know that the wine will degass all by itself. I have no idea where my whip is and my drill only sees action drilling holes :h

For your future wines, Not really necessary to perform a specific degassing step. If you're considering an extended aging period, know that the wine will degass all by itself. I have no idea where my whip is and my drill only sees action drilling holes :h
Do you think it's harmful to do a degassing step when bulk aging will take care of the process? Or just not necessary?

I'm probably bulk aging longer then i'll be around but I vacuum rack with my allinonevacuumpump.com if I got the address wrong been sampling some blackberry mead, at 2 years old so sampled an bottled today, but he's a member on here vaccumpumpman his names steve, I rack and degas in the same time, and with the bottling just attachment and bottle twice as fast, also you can get a house filter to go between both carboys mans a broken down old fart like me not have backache beings you'll no longer have to lift full carboys.:: whites bulk 8 months and on reds 24 months back age,
but I only do country wines and no kits yet,,,,::
Richard

I also get a AIO pump from Steve and it work so well. Just did a racking of Dragon blood this afternoon and totally degas it with 2 more transfer. Simple and easy task with that pump.

About how long does it take to rack a 6 gal/23L batch?

One day I'll get the AIO and will have to test its degassing efficiency. I'd rack it 3 times and then hit it with my Vacu-Vin and see how well it is degassed.

Latest posts

Back