Advice please getting ready to start 3 kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyk

Reaction score
Three kits arrived today. Does anyone have any comments because this only the 2nd time I have done "kits".

from RJ SS-CC-PP Deep ruby-red Premium Port smolders with bold aromas and flavors of black cherries and blackberries. The perfect after-dinner delight.

from Island Mist IMI-MER
Ruby red in color, this blend accentuates the qualities that make the Merlot grape varietal so appealing. The aroma and flavors of freshly picked, ripe raspberries merge with the lush richness of berries and fruit that naturally burst from the Merlot grape. Soft, supple and easy drinking - a true treat.

from Vino del Vida
VVW-CME-CH A robust bouquet of warm, dark fruit and tobacco leads to elevated aromas of ripe blackcurrants and cherries. Layers of coffee and dark plum notes unfold to reveal a big-hearted dry wine blessed with excellent length of flavors and hearty yet supple tannins.

i know it's sound pretty cliche, sammy, and not sure how much help, but with kits, imho, and from what i have read on other threads, the best bet is to follow the instructions to a "t" until you feel comfortable enough to possibly use some of the tweaks....follow the instructions and you should produce some rather drinkable wines....the only change i feel comfortable with telling you to make is to let them bulk age for awhile instead of bottling right away...

I plan to do that, follow the directions. What I did was call my LHBS and told them to send me 3 nice kits. We prefer fruit wine rather then just grape. BUT we will be making muscadine this fall from our own grapes. <<< and it came out rather good considering how many mistakes I made with my very first wine. Still have 1/2 a gallon aging and will break it out for turkey day when brother is here.

I was looking more or less for comments from those who made the kits.

I plan to do that, follow the directions. What I did was call my LHBS and told them to send me 3 nice kits. We prefer fruit wine rather then just grape. BUT we will be making muscadine this fall from our own grapes. <<< and it came out rather good considering how many mistakes I made with my very first wine. Still have 1/2 a gallon aging and will break it out for turkey day when brother is here.

I was looking more or less for comments from those who made the kits.

ah....ok, well that case, i might be able to help you out a bit with the mist kit....i have not done that particular variety but have made several of the island mists, and what i have found is that they do seem to come out quite "flabby", in that they almost seem like you are drinking kool-aid....truly a "soda pop" wine....not sure if you like any "acidic" crispness in your wines or not, but if you do, you might want to consider bumping up the acid level a bit...and as others have mentioned before, if you want a bit more alcohol, and less sweetness, try using part of the f pack in the initial fermentation.....

Three kits arrived today. Does anyone have any comments because this only the 2nd time I have done "kits".

from RJ SS-CC-PP Deep ruby-red Premium Port smolders with bold aromas and flavors of black cherries and blackberries. The perfect after-dinner delight.

from Island Mist IMI-MER
Ruby red in color, this blend accentuates the qualities that make the Merlot grape varietal so appealing. The aroma and flavors of freshly picked, ripe raspberries merge with the lush richness of berries and fruit that naturally burst from the Merlot grape. Soft, supple and easy drinking - a true treat.

from Vino del Vida
VVW-CME-CH A robust bouquet of warm, dark fruit and tobacco leads to elevated aromas of ripe blackcurrants and cherries. Layers of coffee and dark plum notes unfold to reveal a big-hearted dry wine blessed with excellent length of flavors and hearty yet supple tannins.

Not sure what a SS-CC-PP is. I'll assume from your description it is a port. If a port does not call for adding Brandy, I always ad at least one bottle anyway. It gives the port a much smoother finish and adds a little ABV to the resulting port. Just a little option that helps, IMO.

I have no idea what an IMI-MER and an VVW-CME-CH are.

With the exception of the option of brandy in the port, just go with the instructions.

Not sure what a SS-CC-PP is. I'll assume from your description it is a port. If a port does not call for adding Brandy, I always ad at least one bottle anyway. It gives the port a much smoother finish and adds a little ABV to the resulting port. Just a little option that helps, IMO.

I have no idea what an IMI-MER and an VVW-CME-CH are.

With the exception of the option of brandy in the port, just go with the instructions.

i can only tell from the description, robie, just like you could from the first one being a port, that the mist kit one is a raspberry merlot....at least that's my inference....

The biggest boost I have found to get a successful clean ferment when making any kit is a strong mixing right at the beginning. I have no scientific proof or studies to fall back on but I personally see a difference every day as my customers mix their own product in my BOP. The ferment takes off quicker and finishes sooner. This does a couple things the sediment drop out is farther along on clearing day therefore less drops out after clearing.The people that put in the extra effort mixing day also seem to get one more bottle from the same addition of water. I believe this is due to the sediment drop out being farther along and making a firmer bed. I do not have time when racking to get every drop so when the hard rack comes along to get rid of the sediment for filtering I stop the cane when I start getting sediment so as not to plug up my filters. ( sediment is the enemy of filtering) These are just some of my observations.

My mistake, I think it was the suppliers code and not a universal code.

But they are Cellar Classics, Island Mist, RJ Spagnols - Chilean Cabernet Merlot

OK so I never drank wine or any alcohol prior to making wine last fall so I don't know what I like but am willing to try something one time. Brother Bob will drink anything because he says "he never met a wine he did not like"

He brought us a bunch of empty wine bottles on his way back to MI from FL and it appears he is not fussy as long as it is not "cheap" wine.

Does that help some?

Last edited:
Sammy I'm in the same boat, new to making and no wine drinking background. Sounds like you have a plan, mist for quick drinking and others to experiment with taste. I'm starting a few kits this weekend so thanks for starting the thread.

First Problem

After talking to my LHBS the Cellar Classic expired in 2009. They are crediting my account back for it. They told me to go ahead and make the kit and then give them feedback. I told them better yet, I will bring them a bottle when it is done. They are mailing me 2 packets of EC1118 because the date is 11/11

They are now going to make changes in their stores and put the expiration date in real dates on the front of the box so this does not happen again. They are great folks there and always helpful and pleasant. I just did not have time to drive there so I had them ship the order to me.

He did say with port juice it is hard to tell if it is expired but most likely still good with the addition of fresh yeast.

Thoughts?

TJ the Chocolate Raspberry Port is wonderful even though it is still aging. I had a lot of help from Arne because it was a bit tricky. Before I put it in the crawl space to age, the taste was wonderful. It was started, I believe in December.

So much help here if one just asks.

i know it's sound pretty cliche, sammy, and not sure how much help, but with kits, imho, and from what i have read on other threads, the best bet is to follow the instructions to a "t" until you feel comfortable enough to possibly use some of the tweaks....follow the instructions and you should produce some rather drinkable wines....the only change i feel comfortable with telling you to make is to let them bulk age for awhile instead of bottling right away...
I enjoy reading the great tips given. I keep seeing this one about bulk aging. How is this done? I have a kit in primary fermenter now and would love to know more about bulk aging

I enjoy reading the great tips given. I keep seeing this one about bulk aging. How is this done? I have a kit in primary fermenter now and would love to know more about bulk aging

Bulk aging is when you store a wine in a carboy for an extended period of time. When done properly you wine will be of a consistent flavor and quality from one bottle to the next. Bulk aging also is a way to save storage space.Two and 1/2 dozen wine bottles use quite a bit of space where as a carboy takes a lot less. When the fermentation, Clearing and final racking off of the sediments is done you top up one more time with a similar wine to reduce head space keep a full airlock in place and store your wine in it's carboy for 3 months or more depending on your time available what you are trying to achieve or how much storage space you have.

I age in 1 gallon carboys in large Rubbermaid totes with lids (to keep out mice and rats) in our crawl space. Neither of us can lift anything larger because of physical problems. So it works for us to use 1 gallon carboys. We check the air locks weekly and it is not exactly easy to get into the crawl space. My remote thermometer says it is staying around 62 degrees there even though we are now in the high 80's and low 90's. We don't run an air conditioner either so the crawl space was our only option for storage and aging.

Bulk aging is when you store a wine in a carboy for an extended period of time. When done properly you wine will be of a consistent flavor and quality from one bottle to the next. Bulk aging also is a way to save storage space.Two and 1/2 dozen wine bottles use quite a bit of space where as a carboy takes a lot less. When the fermentation, Clearing and final racking off of the sediments is done you top up one more time with a similar wine to reduce head space keep a full airlock in place and store your wine in it's carboy for 3 months or more depending on your time available what you are trying to achieve or how much storage space you have.
Ok thanks so you must keep an air lock on. I was thinking you would cork it or something. How about those carboy caps, you can vacum them every now and then right? Or is it just best to use airlocks?
carboy-cap-3-5-and-6-gallon-carboys_1-300x300.jpg

I age in 1 gallon carboys in large Rubbermaid totes with lids (to keep out mice and rats) in our crawl space. Neither of us can lift anything larger because of physical problems. So it works for us to use 1 gallon carboys. We check the air locks weekly and it is not exactly easy to get into the crawl space. My remote thermometer says it is staying around 62 degrees there even though we are now in the high 80's and low 90's. We don't run an air conditioner either so the crawl space was our only option for storage and aging.
Hmmm never thought about storing under the crawl space...

Yes they have air locks. It is hot here in NC and we don't run the air conditioner. We do have huge ceiling fans in every room though.

Ok thanks so you must keep an air lock on. I was thinking you would cork it or something. How about those carboy caps, you can vacum them every now and then right? Or is it just best to use airlocks?
You can use a solid bung but you want to make sure you are fully degassed. If you have any gas your bung will pop out and then you could lose your wine to bacteria. Some people tape the bung in place to ensure that it stays in place. There are also available silicone type airlocks I do not know much about these but they do interest me.

You can use a solid bung but you want to make sure you are fully degassed. If you have any gas your bung will pop out and then you could lose your wine to bacteria. Some people tape the bung in place to ensure that it stays in place. There are also available silicone type airlocks I do not know much about these but they do interest me.
Ok yeah that's what I wanted to know, because I really don't want the house to continusly smell like wine. I want something air tight while it store/ages.

Last edited:
Bulk aging will not add any aroma to your home. The only time that happens is during ferment or if you have the misfortune to have a wine go wrong.

Back