Adding sugar after primary starts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x_diver

Reaction score
I pitched my yeast for a 6 gallon batch last night. I just realized that my math was wrong and i added enough sugar for a 5 gallon batch. Can I just add granulated sugar at this point to adjust?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I would sanitize a pot, spoon, and wine thief.
Use the wine thief to put some of the juice in the pot.
Dissolve the sugar in the pot with the juice. Use the spoon to help dissolve the sugar.
Pour that into the primary, and stir to mix in.

If you pour the sugar directly in to the primary, it might sit at the bottom undissolved.

BTW: Did you take an SG reading last night? What was it? If it was the right SG reading, then leave it alone.

Thanks. I'll try that. I didn't take a sg reading since I figured that I was following a recipe. I should have known better. I was hurrying - I should have just waited to start this batch. Lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

What richmke said is perhaps the smartest way to do it. I, seeing I was only on day two, would just add the sugar and stir until I was reasonably confident the sugar was dissolved.

I've never tried it myself, but I've heard of folks putting sugar into a blender with wine or water to get it incorporated.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back