Adding Sorbate? When if bulk-aging?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arh13p

Reaction score
I have gone through a few rackings and have the wine clear. If I want to bulk age for a few months yet before bottling should I add sorbate and sweeten now or do it just before bottling and leave it alone? I did add the k-meta already.

Add sorbate now.

If you bulk age you need to add more kmeta ( 1/8 tsp every other racking). That preserves to wine and keeps bacteria down.

I use to always stabilize and sweeten my wine shortly after fermentation. Now I wait to sweeten and add sorbate/meta a few weeks before bottling. I add sorbate, meta and sugar all at the same time. Just be sure to stir well.

I have gone through a few rackings and have the wine clear. If I want to bulk age for a few months yet before bottling should I add sorbate and sweeten now or do it just before bottling and leave it alone? I did add the k-meta already.

Sorbate can be added anytime after fermentation is finished, k-meta should be added at the same time. If you are bulkageing the backsweetning can wait until a week or two before you bottle or it can be done a few days to a week after you have stabilized.
You will probably get several different suggestions from others as to how they do it, but I don't think it really makes much difference as long as you add k-meta and sorbate at the same time then wait a few days before sweetning. Then you can choose the method that seems right to you.
LOUMIK

Latest posts

Back