About Pectin Enzyme

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
How late in the process can you add it? I'm at 1.040 now. I also have one that is clearing, can I add it to that one?

Semper Fi

You can add anytime but, why now?
I would not add at this point. Wait till in clearing stage. PE will remove pectic haze if you have it.

Hi, can someone just clarify - I thought I read on here that pectic enzyme worked less effectively due to the presence of alcohol, so the sooner you add the better - or is it 'active yeast' that it doesn't like, in which case after fermentation, but when high in alcohol, would be better?

Best to do is ad p.e. prior to adding yeast. Enzymes don't work well together but if forgotten, it can be added later to help break down protein hazes in wines.

Keep in mind that the enzymes don't stop working when you add the yeast. They continue but start to slow as the alcohol, yeast and other things yeasts give off increases i your must. This is why on day 3-4 your fruit tends to fall apart. It's the enzymes doing their job.

Latest posts

Back