Cranberry pectin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My cranberry wine restarted fermentation and the pectin is settling out now. Sg is 1.010 and bubbling away. However there is a lot of pectin sitting in the bottom of the carboy. I’m thinking it’s probably too late for enzyme. I don’t remember what I did last time I made cranberry from berries. I guess I’ll just try to carefully siphon off what I can. Any ideas?

IMG_0024.jpeg

My cranberry wine restarted fermentation and the pectin is settling out now. Sg is 1.010 and bubbling away. However there is a lot of pectin sitting in the bottom of the carboy. I’m thinking it’s probably too late for enzyme. I don’t remember what I did last time I made cranberry from berries. I guess I’ll just try to carefully siphon off what I can. Any ideas?

View attachment 108538
let it bulk age for a year before siphoning off,
Dawg

If SG is 1.010 today, some of that sediment might be gross lees. If it was mine, I would rack in another 2 weeks. Your smaller jug looks way under filled to let it age that way for months. Keep the main carboy well topped off, don’t forget a dose of Kmeta. You may need most of that small jug to keep the main carboy topped up. Then let it sit for at least 3 months.

Looks like gross lees, pectin enzymes won't dissolve that. rack off, top up. and age it. 3 to 6. then taste. 6 months is perfectly fine to age cranberry wine. 1 year would be ok but not necessary. adjust sweetness, flavors, tannins ph etc after 6 months it may be perfect. bottle it once flavor. is to your liking.

View attachment 108538
good color...
Dawg

Doing my research I found out cranberry juice has about 6 grams of malic acid per liter, which is probably why it is still fermenting. The tiny bubbles should have been a clue. So today ill dose with so2 and rack it off the lees and pectin.

Latest posts

Back