? about Grape juice wine...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Naw I'm not saying you don't know what you are talking about, it just doesn't seem to be coming out right
smiley36.gif

When did you measure the 1.060? Before or after adding water or sugar?
Straight winegrape juice will be from 1.075-1.110, depending on ripeness and variety of grape- so straight juice should have been at least the 1.060 by itself.

If you were at one small line below the .990, that would be .992. Simple little misquote there.

We will get this sorted out soon and you are learning at each step.

I did not heat the water to add the sugar, just used hot tap water, but I am sure it all dissolved.

When we racked it, I didn't see anything except maybe a 1/4 inch of sediment. Could that have been sugar????? Dunno...I didn't taste it.

I tasted the wine today and it tastes almost like beer......does that make any sense?? LOL

I measured the 1.060 after the juice, water, sugar, and other ingredients were all mixed up in the primary.

I just checked my hydrometer and I see where I made the mistake and put the zero in....Thanks for helping me there!

I wonder....I still have some more of this same juice in the pantry....Should I take out another quart jar and test the SG just to see what it reads all by itself? Would that help?

I really do appreciate you all......thank you!
smiley1.gif

Ahhh crud......I feel realllllllly silly right now............
smiley9.gif
smiley9.gif
smiley5.gif

smiley9.gif

I just checked the SG in another quart of juice.......... guess what it reads all by itself??????????? Yep..... 1.060

Sooooo.....what do I do now???
smiley36.gif

p.s...I can hear the rest of you out there laughing at me.....Just stop it! That's not nice.
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Not laughing at you; just reflecting on how many things I could have done better if I were further along the learning curve. This is a hobby that appears to have no end to new things to learn. A value of this Forum is the number of friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful people. I've checked out some other fora, and some of them can get pretty snarky. The people here are interested in helping each other succeed.

Arden

If I had a nickel for every mistake I made I would have a barrel full of nickels.

I just got done working for the day and my mind doesn't feel like doing calcs right now, but using your figures it should be possible to figure the %ABV. My rough guess would be around 14-15%, maybe a bit more. You should be able to smell the alcohol. Let it clear, bottle it and give it a while, then enjoy it. Next one will be better. You will be an expert before you know it.

when I make wine I do it for practice.
when something doesn't go right... it was just for practice.
Pretty soon... practice makes perfect.
hmmmm.... lots of mistakes made are only made once....
and anyways all this is among friends......
solution??..... just make more.
smiley20.gif

IQwine said:
when I make wine I do it for practice.
when something doesn't go right... it was just for practice.
Pretty soon... practice makes perfect.
hmmmm.... lots of mistakes made are only made once....
and anyways all this is among friends......
solution??..... just make more.
smiley20.gif

Thanks, IQ...I like that attitude!

I know I'm not the only one who has made these mistakes. One thing I can say that I've learned is to S-L-O-W down and not try to be making wine where there are too many other things going on when I can be sidetracked.......that's really what happened. I was trying to do too many other things all at the same time!

Anyway....I'm going to do as you suggest Appleman...I'll let it clear and see what happens. It will be interesting to see what the final result of this will be.

Thank you to all that have offered their thoughts and suggestions!

Back