WineXpert About clearing ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natrix

Avid wine drinker
Reaction score
Hi all ! I have a simple question. Have a kit of Winexpert World Vineyard Pinot noir and the instruction said "do not rack the wine before stabilizing and fining". The problem is that I use the AIO pump and need to rack the wine to degas before clearing it. Do you think it will clear properly ? I'm just wondering if it can be an issue.
Thx

Fred

Yes. You're fine. I'm guessing you're in a glass carboy right now, finishing fermentation. You've checked your SG and you're ready to move on. Do your directions require you to move the wine to a clean carboy?

If so, use your AIO and then follow the directions for adding KMeta and clearing agents and stirring. If your directions say to clear in the SAME carboy as the one in which you finished fermentation, follow the directions (add stuff and stir, then rack according to schedule).

Degassing along the way via the AIO will just get the job of degassing done more thoroughly. Your wine will clear just fine.

Yes, all these steps was done right now. My wine is in a carboy for aging since 2 days. But just wondering if the clearing process will go well even if I had transfert the wine before clearing.

Ok thx, just wanted to know if I should continue the exact way for the next kit. I'm beginning, so a lot to learn and want to do it right.:h

Yes, just to provide more assurances, I often ignore those instructions, and I DO rack off the fine lees before stabilizing and clearing. It always clears just fine.

I started the same kit this past Tuesday. This is the third WE kit I'm doing and find that I DON'T like the step about which you've posted. I AM going to rack the wine before stabilizing and fining to get the wine off the sediment and then use Super-Kleer fining instead of the agent supplied with the kit. I'm just not happy with how my previous two WE kits "cleared" (they're actually both now bulk aging and still clearing) using the WE fining agent.

So the last time you followed the instruction and did not rack before clearing ?

So the last time you followed the instruction and did not rack before clearing ?

Correct. Followed the instructions steps 1,2 & 3, to the tee.

Prior to moving to PA last year all my kits (a bunch of RJS and one MM) and all the fruit wine recipes I've done have you rack off the sediment BEFORE stabilizing and clearing. In every case though the 2 step Super-Kleer type fining agents have been used.

Over the years I have seen it posted a number of times where a member will say that they do WE kits racking off the sediment - meaning not stirring it back in - to no ill effect. Their batch still cleared.

Next WE 10L kit I just might go to dry in the primary to save a few steps.

You're new to this so I'd suggest, for awhile anyway, you stay with the kit instructions.

Last edited:
I think the instructions is for people who want to bottle after the 4-6 weeks period. It probably help to clear the wine faster as the clearing agent work better when big sediments grab the smaller one. But in bulk aging, time work for us.

Yes, just to provide more assurances, I often ignore those instructions, and I DO rack off the fine lees before stabilizing and clearing. It always clears just fine.

Do you feel it improves the taste by not stirring?

I've never understood this step, and just thought it might cause problems if I didn't follow instructions. Some times you have to Draw me a picture. I come from a long lineage of 1st cousins. Run Forrest, Run.

I think the instructions is for people who want to bottle after the 4-6 weeks period. It probably help to clear the wine faster as the clearing agent work better when big sediments grab the smaller one. But in bulk aging, time work for us.

But what I'm finding with my first two kits is that a haze is remaining after "clearing" and I must bulk age some in order for the haze to clear. This is most apparent in the WE Cali Muscato that I've got going, less so or just harder to see in the Amarone. I've done both of these in RJS kits and they totally cleared in just a few days.

I wonder how instruction can be so different from company to an other ?!?
Well, will maybe see the difference because I clear a Fontana and a WE kit at the same time, with different instruction about clearing, but using the same method. Fontana kit has a Kieselsol and chitosan pack. The WE kit has only the chitosan.

I wonder how instruction can be so different from company to an other ?!?
Well, will maybe see the difference because I clear a Fontana and a WE kit at the same time, with different instruction about clearing, but using the same method. Fontana kit has a Kieselsol and chitosan pack. The WE kit has only the chitosan.

So by now you find that there is no "carved-in-stone" method which must be followed..... Comes down to personal preferences and usually involves ""TIME"".... White wines are easier because you can see them clearing. Reds can surprise you because some can continue to drop sediments for a long time. I've had batches which (after @1yr.) had nothing in the carboy at bottling but a yr later showed a goodly bit when I popped the cork :ft

I'm surprised to get a 3/4" of sediment at the bottom of the carboys after 2 days, even after 4 transfer to degas the wine.

Better transfer it in 3 months when adding the Kmeta ???

I'm surprised to get a 3/4" of sediment at the bottom of the carboys after 2 days, even after 4 transfer to degas the wine.

Better transfer it in 3 months when adding the Kmeta ???

Yes, in my opinion whether you're going to bottle in 3 months or bulk age for another 3 months do a transfer/racking. Rack to a bucket if you are to bottle or to a clean and sanitized carboy if you are to do some more bulk aging. Be sure to top off if you're doing more bulk aging. In both cases, unless you can test the wine, I recommend you dose with 1/4 tsp of k-meta.

I should have added that you may find that there is no more sediment in which case you can use every last drop that's left in the carboy. However, I generally find just a little dusting left at the bottom of the carboy.

Back