Clearing with DualFine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I initiated the DualFine Clearing Kieselsol/Chitosan procedure 8/26/2023 at 1 p.m. It states that it will clear in 12-48 hours. The problem is that my winery has been inundated with a swarm of yellow jackets that preclude me from entering the area. I was severely stung trying to get rid of them and had to hire a firm to initiate nest removals and general clearing of not only the basement winery/cellar area but the entire house and surrounding grounds for ground nests. The problem is that I cannot begin to enter for area cleaning and sanitation for possibility 36 hours. My question is will extending the time to 60 total hours before racking have any ill effects on my wine? I know this is an odd situation, but the technician working the infestation says that it's not uncommon since this is escalation of aggressive yellow jacket activity in our area of Pennsylvania and it is intense. He also added that the commonly used nuisance sprays on the market are having very little effect if any. He was using a chemical compound "Crossfire" along with a dust-powder used to infiltrate behind the wall eggs and nests. I hope no one has this problem, but if so address it immediately before they swarm. My mistake as that I was smashing them with a fly-swatter which released a pheranome (sp?) scent that causes yellow jackets to attack. It wasn't fun. Try not to do that.

The K&C will drop whatever sediment it can, those fine lees are not detrimental to the taste of the wine, so captured as a fine sediment will do no harm. Wait till the first frost that kills those jackets!

Latest posts

Back