A Little Advice/Assurance Needed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arh13p

Reaction score
So the more I read threads on here, sometimes I think I am getting more confused. I realize there is alot of opinions on methods and what not. I have been making wine now for about 6 months and have about 50 gallons under my belt. I have learned a lot on this forum and I thank everyone who has answered much of my questions. Because of the varations in what people do when it comes to clearing their wines, sweetening and bottleing I thought I would just state my method that I though has been working well.

1) I ferment until about 1.01-1.00.

2) Transfer to Seconday. I do not add anything.

3) Once it stops fermenting for the most part (usually about 2-3 weeks)..SG 0.995-0.990 I transfer again into seconday with K-meta and Sorbate. I degas and have been adding my clarifier to it.

4) Once it looks clear (1 week), I transfer again to a seconday. Now I let it sit.......This is where I get the questions.

5) I let it sit about a month and backsweeten, let is sit a week and then bottle.

In the past I have bottled within 3 months so I never add more K-meta. Should I before bottling if it is around the 3 month time since I added last?

Do I ever have to add sorbate again if it was several months since I added it before I backsweeten?

I have about 25 gallons right now that is clear and needs to be backsweeted and bottled so I thought I would throw this out there and see if my methods are OK.

Thanks!

1). I always ferment to dry, but I'm lazy.
5). Kits wines like Summer Breeze I bulk age for a month as well. It works for me.

Do I ever have to add sorbate again if it was several months since I added it before I backsweeten?
This scares me too. I use sorbate before I filter and bottle it. I think the filter takes some of sorbate out. Also the wine conditioner has some sorbate in it.

Just another note....all my wines have been fruit wines....fresh or frozen fruit or juices.

Offhand I would say that you are racking one time more than necessary, but other than that your method looks solid. From everything that I have read, potassium sorbate does not dissipate with time so there is no reason to add more than one dose. I don't know if filtering would remove sorbate, but even if so, the filtering also removes the leftover yeast from the wine which would negate the necessity of something to prevent refermentation.

Can you actually rack too much? I figured if I was motivated one night, what can it hurt to rack off what already settled? Unless I am not leaving enough time for everything to settle out....anyone know the best time to wait, regardless of what the directions say on the clarifier?

Each time that you rack you introduce the possibility of adding oxygen, bacteria or yeast, so in a general sense racking too often can be a problem. That said, I am sure that plenty of people rack more often, I just think that limiting exposure is the way to go. It is really only your step 3 that I would even question. Unless you have a really thick layer of sediment it seems like it could easily stay for the extra week until step 4. That extra week would also allow the sediment to compact more; not saying that it will necessarily have a huge effect, just more time to compact.

Latest posts

Back