3 gallons of Vidalia Onion wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thig

Reaction score
I have 3 gallons of the clearest Vidalia Onion wine in a carboy you would ever want to see, ready to bottle. Now I am questioning why I made 3 gallons. If I bottle in 375ml bottles that is going to be about 30 bottles and I will never use that much for cooking. Not really sure how good it would be just to drink.

I am tempted to bottle a gallon of it and pour the rest out, any thoughts from those that have made this before?

Not sure how long it will keep and it would take me years to use it all.

Don't pitch it! You can do some awesome cooking with it. In stews, crockpots, marinades etc. Put most of it into gallon jugs. I bet any cooking enabled friend you have would be thrilled to try some dishes with it also. I've been tempted to make some just to cook with after hearing reports about how fab it is in crockpot esp.

Pam in cinti

Thig, I've made a Vidalia Onion/ jalapeño that was a great marinade and cooking wine. It wasn't good to drink. I marinaded lots of roasts for the crock pot. I grew up in Vidalia and have many friends who give me onions every year. Good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Just curious, How old is it? I made some in November 2013 and it is almost drinkable as a table wine. The onion smell is very slight, but the onion does come through at the finish. Mine is a beautiful light orange/peach color. I plan to bottle in 375ml bottles and gift it to my family and friends that know how or enjoy cooking for Christmas.

I made it September 2013. This is a pic but not a very good one because I wasn't taking just that one bottle.

1413244728557.jpg

Lori did you sweeten or leave dry? I have been told to sweeten some for de-glaze and leave some dry for marinate.

I haven't sweetend. I don't think I will. I can always add sugar or honey when I need to for a recipe.
You have reminded me I need to bottle it soon. It's time.
Beautiful color on your and yes, clear as can be. Well done.

You could split into 3 different jugs, press the juice from a bunch of ginger into 1 jug, drop a few habenaroes into another jug and put some honey into the 3rd to make a really sweet glazer, then you would have some variety. WVMJ

I made a dry onion and potato wine that looked just like a fine chardonnay. If you had a cold and your nose was stopped up, you might even like the taste, as I did put white raisins and used some white grape juice as well. After a year in the bottle very faint taste of onion, but trust me, it still has a slight onion smell. Most that have tasted give me that look of what the heck is this. You need thick skin, I've heard comments like it would be good on ant beds to kill them to it smells like a wet dog. Hint, if you have a wine tasting, give this first, cause anything afterward will be great. I made mine to be 18% so it doesn't take much to light you up. Bottom line, use it cook with. Wife used it as a replacement in a Marsala Chic recipe and it was very good. I had 30 bottles, down to 2 that I plan to save another year to see if time will be kinder. Most went out as gag gifts. Like a time bomb, I'm waiting to hear the fall out after they open and taste. :slp

Back