Made a mistake

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
Making Skeeter Pee, 5 gallons, EC 1118 , SpGr 1.070. Here is where I "wadden" paying attention to what I was doing, I added 3 tsp of tannin when I should have added 3/4 th tsp. It fermented to .990, statalized with k-meta and sorbate (my recipe said to add 1/2 tsp of k-meta, but I only added 1/4 tsp). Added sparkolloid and it cleared nicely. I backsweetened to 1.030 trying to hide the tannin, (it is quite tart). Is there anything I can do to ofset the tannin beside making another batch without any tannin and blending them together? Thanks for any help
Semper Fi

Hi Ernest, I'm hoping that I'm wrong and someone else will chime in here,but I think blending is your only real option here.I've always been told, the only thing you can't really undo is your oaks and tannins.Sweetening it more isn't going to take that pucker away.

If you made it according to the original recipe, the tartness may come from the large volume of lemon juice. I found my first batch to be exceedingly tart thanks to using the Costco lemon juice, which (I learned after the fact) is not buffered or acid balanced. Whatever the ph of the fresh juice is what you get. I have used that SP for things like sangria and wine spritzers and people enjoyed it. It didn't go to waste.

I'd try powdered egg whites, 1/2 egg white per 5 gal wine.

Thanks for the help, looks like I will just have to re-name it "Pucker Pee" and tell everyone that it's a new fad that started on the west coast and it is just now making it this far.

Thanks
Semper Fi

Your slogan - Pucker Pee - so good it will make a virgin out of ya!

SBW, Can you tell me more about adding the egg white? Like how to do it and how long to let it set before racking and anything else you can think of that I need to know when adding the egg white.
Thanks
Semper Fi

Sure, I use DEB EL Just Whites from the Supermarket . Following directions on the can I add 1 tsp of powdered egg white to 1 tbsp of warm water and a very small pinch of salt and slowly stir trying for no froth. This equals 1/2 egg white, I use this for 6 gallons and stir it into the wine. Wait about a week and rack.

I use this on most of my Blackberry wines to help with the bitter. I was skeptical at first but after trying it, it's the first thing I go to if I have any bitter at all in my wines.

Good Luck

Back