Five Million Steps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerdave

Chief Bottlewasher
Reaction score
I want to apologize ahead of time for my distraction. I have an addictive personality, so I tend to get obsessed with things that interest me. For the past three years, my obsession of choice has been wine making.

But with the decision to hike the Appalachian Trail next year, I'm getting distracted with all the reading I've been doing, particularly regarding gear options, food, trail life, etc.

I know I hold some responsibility for being a regular contributor to this site and all you wonderful folks over the past few years, so I ask your forgiveness ahead of time for being distracted over the next year or so. I have joined a few AT forums in order to learn more from those who have gone before me---just like here.

I plan to start a Facebook page (probably) where I will be able to give regular updates and pictures from my iPhone along the length of my walk. For those interested, I will give the details here as my departure date approaches, now set for early March 2015.

Thank you for your understanding, all. I'll still be checking in regularly until then, but if you have any direct questions for me regarding wine making, please send me a PM (or email) so I don't miss your posts.

“I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain.” ---Eliss Boyd “Red” Redding, The Shawshank Redemption

I will go with you (via your facebook Page). Let us know about the page.

Mike, that would be much faster...and scare the crap out of the thru-hikers! ;)

I haven't had an active FB account for a few years now, but I may change that just to follow your progress.

Hey, have a ball... as long as you don't take down the DB recipe.
smilie.gif

Been on the trail here in Connecticut but only for short hikes.

For those of you who live near the trail, it would be nice to maybe meet some of you along the way. JohnT has already offered to host me when I get to NJ. I should have a proud and crazy mountain man beard going by then! :re

Last edited:
For those of you who live near the trail, it would be nice to maybe meet some of you along the way. JohnT has already offered to host me when I get to NJ. I should have a proud and crazy mountain man beard going by then! :re

Dave,

I said it before and the offer still stands. I'll keep you company on the trail through VA for a day or two (and bring a little vino with me). We are about an hour from a few points on the AT. Or if a hot shower and real bed is more inviting, we can oblige.

It sounds very exciting, though I'm not familiar with the Appalachian Trail. I'll watch for your FB posting. Enjoy it all Dave, you've earned it!!

Let us know. Some of us southern folks could arrange a meet up to send you off. The southern trail head is Springer Mt which is in Amicalola Falls State Park, With a lodge, cabins, etc. and naturally we could have a wine tasting :)

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

AT.jpg

AmicalolaFalls.jpg

Last edited:

Dave,

Offer still stands. be glad to have you over and show you my setup, do a little sippin, and offer you some missed creature comforts (food, electricity, and running water).

johnT.

We're not far off the trail Dave- if you make it this far North.
135 Bennett St., North Sandwich, NH.(bordering White Mountain National Forest)
603-986-9769
I'm almost certain we'll have something drinkable. Stop in!
Gunnar

Wow! You guys are awesome! I can tell you in advance that I know I will appreciate it very, very much. I am taking notes, and I will coordinate with each of you prior to my departure next year. These rendezvous will definately be something to look forward to, and help keep me motivated on the trail.

I'm moving my departure date up to coincide with the Appalachian Trail Kick Off (ATKO) at Amicalola Falls Lodge in early March 2015. It'll still be pretty cold at that time, for sure, but I'll be leaving with a bunch of others around that time. That'll get me home in mid September. As a matter of fact, if I don't goof around much along the way, I may be able to schedule my finish at Katahdin on my birthday, Sept. 11th. That would be perfect!

Ok, I've got my journal up and running at http://www.trailjournals.com/dangerdave. Go check it out. Only a few posts regarding my preperation so far, but I'll add some stuff as I go along towards departue in March. Gear, shakedown hikes, trail food, etc.

Sign my guestbook, please, with words of encouragement or criticism as you see fit. And check back regularly for updates. I've got a "shakedown hike" scheduled for this week (four days) in the Shawnee State Forest in southern Ohio. I'll be making some entries reviewing that experience---my first multi-day hike.

Should be an adventure...:pic

Can't wait to follow along with you Dave! I'll keep your site on my favourites list and check the FB page.

So excited for you!!!

Some friends of mine did it. They commented on the amount of gear, backpacks, sleeping bags, etc that littered the trail. Apparently people have second thoughts about all the stuff they're carrying.

Thanks for the enthusiasm. And yes, I am watching my pack weight carefully.

The Facebook page will be up and running next year, before I leave. I'll let you know. For now, I'm posting my prep on my trailjournals page.

Latest posts

Back