Mosti Mondiale First of MM Meglioli's In

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got this from George at FVW today:

The first shipment of the Mosti Mondiale Megioli Wine Kits has arrived. Our records indicate that you have pre-ordered at lease one of these wine kits. We will start shipping these kits on Thursday, January 28, 2016. This shipment includes the following wine kits:
Chardonnay
Moscato Italiano
Rojo Grande with Raisins
Nebbiolo with Raisins

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm a fan of the MM kits, and am excited to get my hands on the Rojo Grande. Of course, it won't be here til Monday.........

I too, am a huge fan of the MM Meglioli kits, so thank you for your post Johnd. I just bottled another Rojo Grande w/ Grape Pak (no raisins), that had been bulk aging for 18 months. WOW! I had 1 wife glass left over after filling 30 bottles, and I let it sit for about an hour before tasting. It was insane, and has a lot of potential to age gracefully. One of my favorite kits for a reason, and this time was no exception. I hope I can keep this in the bottle long enough for it to get better...

Got the message mine is on the way as well - have to get everything ready!

The Mosti Mondiale Meglioli Rojo Grande with raisins hit the stoop today, I'm gonna prep and pitch tonight. Kit comes with:

23 L pure varietal must preserved with SO2
475 g raisins
100 g dark toast oak chips
100 g light toast oak chips
5 g EC 1118
10 g yeast nutrients
5 g KMS
5 g K sorbate
Kieselsol
Chitosan

My plan is to sub the EC 1118 out for BM 4x4, ferment dry, skip sorbate, skip kieselsol and chitosan, and bulk age / clear for at least 6 months. At 6 months, I plan to have a barrel that's already seen a few wines, so the Rojo can take a 6 month soak. If it's not oaked to my liking, I'll hit it with some more in the carboy for a while.

This kit has no bentonite, and since I'm skipping clearing agents, it could take longer to clear, if it does, that's OK, it'll be over a year before it even hits a bottle.

I'm hoping by posting this one year plus plan, my fellow winemakers will hold me accountable to be patient.

Looking forward to receiving my first two Meglioli kits. The Sicilian Primativo and the Amarosso. From what I've read these kits take 2 years+ to hit their prime. I have plenty of others in line and on deck, so these should hit the 2 year mark without tapping into any more than a bottle or two just to see how they're coming along.

Looking forward to receiving my first two Meglioli kits. The Sicilian Primativo and the Amarosso. From what I've read these kits take 2 years+ to hit their prime. I have plenty of others in line and on deck, so these should hit the 2 year mark without tapping into any more than a bottle or two just to see how they're coming along.

Have the Amorosso on preorder as well and am looking forward to it. I was on the fence, but didn't order the Primativo, I'd like to hear how it comes out. I also ordered the Old Vine Zinfandel with AllGrape Pack as well as the Shiraz with AllGrape Pack.

I've read that some folks here have had trouble with clearing, it looks like MM has switched from their Siligel / Liquigel clearing duo to Kieselsol and Chitosan. I'm really thinking hard about skipping clearing agents since the wines will bulk age for plenty long enough to clear. Guess is just depends on how things are feeling at the time...................

Have the Amorosso on preorder as well and am looking forward to it. I was on the fence, but didn't order the Primativo, I'd like to hear how it comes out. I also ordered the Old Vine Zinfandel with AllGrape Pack as well as the Shiraz with AllGrape Pack.

I've read that some folks here have had trouble with clearing, it looks like MM has switched from their Siligel / Liquigel clearing duo to Kieselsol and Chitosan. I'm really thinking hard about skipping clearing agents since the wines will bulk age for plenty long enough to clear. Guess is just depends on how things are feeling at the time...................

I've been skipping the clearing agents for quite some time now. Ever since I figured out that most kits seem to need at least a year to become drinkable anyways. I bulk age for about 12 months (6 for whites) and they're completely clear at that point. Then I let them sit in the bottle for about another 6 before I put them into the drinking rotation.

I've been skipping the clearing agents for quite some time now. Ever since I figured out that most kits seem to need at least a year to become drinkable anyways. I bulk age for about 12 months (6 for whites) and they're completely clear at that point. Then I let them sit in the bottle for about another 6 before I put them into the drinking rotation.

I like your plan and have come to the same conclusion, let em clear naturally and take a long time to do it, because you shouldn't be drinking them anyway!

So the Rojo Grande, 36 hours since pitching BM 4x4, was showing nice fermentation activity this morning, sizzling along lightly with all of the raisins floating on the surface, begging to get pushed back down, I obliged.

The instructions call for nutrient addition at 1.040, racking to glass carboy at 1.020ish, adding the oak chips in secondary AF. My wine volcano follies in my earlier days are telling me that this is a bad idea. Fermentation is pretty active at 1.020, and CO2 nucleation sites make it even worse. Think I will add the oak in a day or two and leave it in there until I rack to carboy, it'll do its thing in a couple of days anyway, just as soon not put the factors in play in the carboy that have created volcanoes in the past.

I have posted before that I made the MM meglioli amarone with grapes and raisins. I can't wait to taste it but it's not time yet. You CANNOT go wrong with the size and beauty of their grape packs!

I have posted before that I made the MM meglioli amarone with grapes and raisins. I can't wait to taste it but it's not time yet. You CANNOT go wrong with the size and beauty of their grape packs!

I buy the grape packs from FVW and use them with kits that have none, they are indeed very nice game changers.

So the Rojo Grande, 36 hours since pitching BM 4x4, was showing nice fermentation activity this morning, sizzling along lightly with all of the raisins floating on the surface, begging to get pushed back down, I obliged.

The instructions call for nutrient addition at 1.040, racking to glass carboy at 1.020ish, adding the oak chips in secondary AF. My wine volcano follies in my earlier days are telling me that this is a bad idea. Fermentation is pretty active at 1.020, and CO2 nucleation sites make it even worse. Think I will add the oak in a day or two and leave it in there until I rack to carboy, it'll do its thing in a couple of days anyway, just as soon not put the factors in play in the carboy that have created volcanoes in the past.

IME, I would wait. I had a MMM Zin kit a last year that looked quite peaceful in the primary at 1.020, so I moved it to secondary and added the nutrient pack. Really bad idea! Luckily it was in a clean rubber maid second, secondary, so I recovered by putting it back in the bucket, but it was a mess, and not worth the effort. Let it go below 1.0 before transferring and adding the nutrient addition.

The grape packs are definitely awesome. They were always sold out at FVW for years until MM, at the advice of George, decided to make them a regular product. In the past, I think George just sold the packs that people didn't buy with their kits? I have added them to several "no-pack" kits as well with excellent results. Highly recommended for $25.

IME, I would wait. I had a MMM Zin kit a last year that looked quite peaceful in the primary at 1.020, so I moved it to secondary and added the nutrient pack. Really bad idea! Luckily it was in a clean rubber maid second, secondary, so I recovered by putting it back in the bucket, but it was a mess, and not worth the effort. Let it go below 1.0 before transferring and adding the nutrient addition.

Yep, I've seen it before too, hence the modified plan.

BTW, you really shouldn't be adding nutrients when alcoholic fermentation has progressed to the point where SG is below 1.0 as you suggest. This action could have some detrimental consequences. Always add your nutrients when your kit manufacturer says to. Presumably, they know the YAN of their must, what it needs to be fed and when it needs it, based upon real laboratory data.

Some folks don't add below 16 brix, I've read never below 1.030, can't tell you that there's an absolute right SG / BRIX / sugar depletion reading, but I know 1.0 is too low by a lot. TONS of reading available on the topic if you're into research.

Latest posts

Back