What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2013 Luke Goldschmidt Cabernet Sauvignon

Dark garnet in color with black cherry, raisin, and licorice on the nose. Cranberry, dates and lavender on the palette. Comes off as a bit thin, but the abundance of power flavors surprises and the long finish keeps your attention. Nice acidic balance. Not a home-run, but yet. Still quite good.

IMG_20161206_201132.jpg

10-2

Batch 10, version 2. Spring 2015 Merlot juice bucket with Merlot/Cab Sauv/Malbec lugs of grapes (18 lbs each). Just turned 18 months old, so I went back to the wine sanctuary, and it was the first bottle to make a break for freedom, so I cut it down in it's youth. Glad I did.

This is seriously pretty good at this point. The -2 part of the 10-2 meant that I had added some Tannin Extra Riche at the end before bottling. Everything flavor wise is much more subdued than what it was six months ago. The nose still has some alcohol to it, but mostly rich dark fruit. Tannins are pretty soft since it is +/- 73% Merlot. The bitter Malbec aftertaste is gone, I'm actually having problems tasting anything Malbec in this wine. I'll have to go buy one of our gestapo Bordeaux's in the $20 range and compare, but this is a pretty good wine at this point, I'll have to share with @jgmann67 and @Boatboy24 and see what they think (or someone else could PM me and I might pick one of you to send out a sample, if I'm feeling generous tomorrow morning).

Edit (11-15-16): Saved the balance of this bottle with my vacuvin. Upon sampling the rest I do really notice the vanilla from the Tannin Extra Riche. It is subtle, but still there. I think for my 10th batch I ever made it isn't a bad try. Curious to see how it holds up to aging for a few more years.

Thought I'd open up one of these since it has been a while, then went back and found this post, less than a month, hum. Guess I'd put my bets on no bottles to sample at 3 yrs old. Still the same as the above description, just wonder if I want to add as much Tannin Extra Riche next time. The vanilla note is getting a bit old, maybe it will integrate if I let a few age, if.

Have a batch of OB Acai Raspberry Rapture that is 17 months old (had raised SG to 1.079), so it is getting long in the tooth for a OB kit wine. Was going to give it away to a neighbor if he wanted it, but I haven't seen him in a while and I got to thinking (always dangerous). What if I put a bunch of fruit (tangerines/cherries/peaches etc) and a little sugar in a container and did a quickie Sangria? So I did. After the initial tasting I put a 375 ml bottle of a straight raspberry wine (which is still quite sharp) and things are now tasting a bit interesting. Will let it sit in the garage overnight (going down to 25*F, so may move it in to the fridge), and give it another taste tomorrow after work. So far, pretty good, just not getting much citrus yet. Might be even better if I added some brandy...

Opened a bottle of my Oct 2013 Eclipse Barolo. Meh. Not sure what's going on. I loved this wine, but tonight, not so much. It's OK, but I'm feeling like all my red kits are tasting and smelling the same. I've really been thinking about stopping red kits altogether. So back downstairs I go, the last bottle of my Dec 2012 CC Showcase Red Mountain Cab sitting there on the rack. Is there hope for red kits? If so, this will be the redeemer. I cautiously walked back upstairs; bottle in hand, wondering what I'd find when I opened this - this kit that was one of my favorites. Letdown? Nope. The nose is similar to most red kits, but that is where the similarities end. Legs that just won't quit. This has a strong finish that goes on for quite a while. Blackberry, cherry, a hint of anise and just the slightest essence of orange liqueur. A nice wine, indeed. Enough to make me rethink my moving away from kits? Maybe not. But I've been very light (if in at all) on CC Showcase kits the last year or two. Maybe I should try another soon. Still sad they don't make this one anymore.

Opened a bottle of my Oct 2013 Eclipse Barolo. Meh. Not sure what's going on. I loved this wine, but tonight, not so much. It's OK, but I'm feeling like all my red kits are tasting and smelling the same. I've really been thinking about stopping red kits altogether. So back downstairs I go, the last bottle of my Dec 2012 CC Showcase Red Mountain Cab sitting there on the rack. Is there hope for red kits? If so, this will be the redeemer. I cautiously walked back upstairs; bottle in hand, wondering what I'd find when I opened this - this kit that was one of my favorites. Letdown? Nope. The nose is similar to most red kits, but that is where the similarities end. Legs that just won't quit. This has a strong finish that goes on for quite a while. Blackberry, cherry, a hint of anise and just the slightest essence of orange liqueur. A nice wine, indeed. Enough to make me rethink my moving away from kits? Maybe not. But I've been very light (if in at all) on CC Showcase kits the last year or two. Maybe I should try another soon. Still sad they don't make this one anymore.

Then maybe the Walla Walla.....

Skeeter lime pee. Made earlier this summer. Not too bad. I'm trying not to drink too much. It would be nice to have some left next summer. It went well with dinner. Pork with savory cranberry shave with sweet potatoes. Left overs as SWMBO is out of town. There won't be any leftover wine from this bottle.

One full day for the OB Acai Raspberry Rapture Sangria. This is still out in the garage (now 27*F) but even with it that cold, I'm starting to taste some of the other fruit flavors in a good way, pear and cherries, still tasting some raspberry. Very enjoyable and I haven't even added any brandy yet, might not have too.

Edit: second glass hasn't disappointed...
Edit(2): third glass is really pretty good...
Edit(3): fourth glass - there is a really nice dance between the tangerines and pears, with the cherries just cherry pickin' a spot on top, but the tangerines are gonna win this one tomorrow, and it'll be good

Also have to add, the tangerine/pear flavors give an aroma and an background taste of pine needles, that's the best way I can describe it, but it is in a good way, very appetizing flavor.

Last edited:
The Lompoc Pinot was my muse late last night and it was pretty stinky at first light. Gave it 90min and swished the decanter to and fro. Still slightly stinky. Underneath that filthy nose was a dark and sultry beauty trying so very hard to escape the restraints - like a deep red super moon hiding behind dark clouds just hoping on hope for a peek. Black cherry - not tart but not sweet nust dark mystery... The leather oiled and well worn. Broken in. Four more bottles - gonna try stay away just a bit longer....... but will probably be lured back in and i already feel quite guilty that I enjoyed it so much -

Cheers!
-johann

IMG_3741.jpg

2015 De Morgenzon Chardonnay (South African)

Quite light in color with mellow citrus and rubber scents. Very lightly oaked and lemony with a dry honeydew essence with late hints of earthen overtones. Decent finish and acidity to make this an enjoyable vino with dinner.

IMG_20161213_193323.jpg

Snagged a bottle of this at Costco for Thanksgiving week and we popped it one night. This wine was purchased for $6.99 IIRC and garnered an unheard of 91Pts in WS. It did not disappoint! Much, much better than the last bottle of CC H3 Cab I opened a few months back. Needed about 15 mins to open but an amazing value and certainly a 5 Star QPR wine that should be easy to find all over the US.

image_2824436_full.jpeg

I snagged a bottle of this tonight, and am sad (well, maybe happy) to report it will not live to see tomorrow. :h You are absolutely right, Mike. I paid a couple bucks more at the local Giant and am still thrilled with the purchase. I may hit Total Wine this weekend to see if they have it near the Costco price. If so, I'll come home with several bottles. Thanks for mentioning it.

Edit: Mine was the 2014, BTW.

Double Edit: $7.97 at TW.

Last edited:
Definitely a bulk buy. A good wine to have on hand for parties, unexpected guest, expected guest or when your team lets ODB slip away for a 60 yard TD in the 4QTR.........

I snagged a bottle of this tonight, and am sad (well, maybe happy) to report it will not live to see tomorrow.

I also snagged a couple of bottles of this, and one will not live to see the dawn. My price was $7.63. (Funny price, I know.) A few cups went into the stew, and a few cups went into the cook. :dg

Back