What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight I am drinking Edelweiss and hopefully I will spend more time here, today is the first day of my retirement!
Congrats Julie! I'm jealous but I'll be joining you in retirement in May. Can't wait. In fact, tomorrow we are going to look at a new RV for that retirement. Beginning to become real.

2013 Columbia Crest Reserve Malbec from Spice Cabinet Vineyard in the H3. From the reserve club that I joined earlier this year. This is a wonderful Malbec. Inky dark - like Petite Sirah dark. Blueberry and Currant; firm, but not 'in your face' tannin. A little light on the nose, but I can deal with that. Really enjoyable and it actually has me feeling better about my 2013 Malbec - which I already liked, but wasn't head-over-heels with.

2013 Columbia Crest Reserve Malbec from Spice Cabinet Vineyard in the H3. From the reserve club that I joined earlier this year. This is a wonderful Malbec. Inky dark - like Petite Sirah dark. Blueberry and Currant; firm, but not 'in your face' tannin. A little light on the nose, but I can deal with that. Really enjoyable and it actually has me feeling better about my 2013 Malbec - which I already liked, but wasn't head-over-heels with.

I was looking at that in my wine rack recently. I think I will toss a bottle into the wine cooler. :HB

Impulse buy when I was in TW a few months ago. This was supposedly their #1 Wine pick for 2016 so had to buy a bottle of course! :)

We had a winter storm blow in this morning and dump 3-4" of snow and move on so when I went home for lunch I stopped by the grocery store and picked up some nice chuck steak on sale and tossed it into the crockpot with some onion, carrots, celery and red potatoes and one of those crock pot slow cooker packs. The house smelled like heaven when I got home this afternoon........ :hug

2013 La Mascota Vineyards 'Unanime' Gran Tinto, Maipu, Argentina. 60% Cab Sauv, 20% Malbec, 20% Cab Franc. Needed about 30 mins of air but then was pretty darn good for $23. Lots of blackberry with licorice, cigar box and black pepper. Full-bodied, yet balanced and reserved. Fine tannins. Pretty decent finish. Nice bottle that will be recycled into my wine stream for sure!

IMG_1820.jpg

Last edited:
I would say yes. If you ever smelled the inside of a cigar box when you were a kid (my grandfather always had them lying around) , this is what it smells like!

Last edited:
I would say yes. If you ever smelled the inside of a cigar box when you were a kid (my grandfather always had them lying around) , this is what is smells like!

That description alone makes me want to buy that wine. I had a really nice cigar box/humidor that I had to get rid of or it was going to kill me (lung wise, not from the box but what I kept in it). That is a beautiful aroma that is hard to forget.

Was looking for something fruity to use with tonight's pots roast and was looking at Merlot. Saw that the H3 2013 was on sale. As I grabbed a bottle off the rack, I noticed a slightly different looking bottle behind it. It was a dusty 2011. I grabbed one of each, knowing that the better part of a bottle was going toward tonight's pot roast. I used the 2013 for that. It was nice, but a little harsh - think it needs a year or two. The 2011 is silky smooth and quite quaffable.

Had an impromptu community wine tasting. We usually do the 3rd Sunday each month. Tonight was about 10 different wines.

Most were quite good with only a few less savory wines. The best was a 2012 Martinelli Zinfandel. Beautiful wine with a powerful 17.3% ABV, but it handles with with flying colors. I had four bottles of this, but this was my last. I'm definitely going to have to look for some more.

PHOTO_20160421_193401.jpg

Last edited:
I had two things in my glass tonight. Both started in March and just bottled today. Mosaic Red and Montepulciano, both WineExpert kits. They both have wonderful color, a nose trying to show up and taste wonderful. I can't wait for a year or two on both of these. I may have to get another of the Montepulciano kits. I still have a Fortitude to rack one more time then bottle, it was started at the same time, but had quite a bit of lees on the bottom of the carboy.

Then for fun, my wife and I started a Stags Leap Merlot. First time making a Merlot for me.

Back