Petit Sirah from Lanza Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shine a light on it. Do you see the tiny bubbles rising? Could just be degassing, but it could be MLF. My PS took a few weeks before I had any visible bubbles. The Zin and cab even longer.

The only bubbles I've seen are the micro bubbles after a good stir. About 15 min later, there's nothing going on that I can see.

How long after stirring did you take that image? Looks like MLF to me, or at least that is what my latest batches looked like. Micro bubbles on the edges, but nothing spectacular that would make you think something is actually happening. MLB is stealthy, like someone who robs you blind in the middle of the night and you don't realize it until you notice things missing three days later...

You can probably tell I'm drinking and haven't had dinner yet, need some carbs, just not from beer or wine.

Vittles ingested. Well, if them there bubbles are in the neck on a regular basis, I think maybe something is starting up, hopefully.

If not you have some VP41 coming to the rescue!

Take @ceeaton up on the ActiML offer, seems like good insurance. My current batches of wine went off without a hitch with VP 41, including the Lanza PS, my Chileans didn't do crap with two separate additions. Go figure......

Take @ceeaton up on the ActiML offer, seems like good insurance. My current batches of wine went off without a hitch with VP 41, including the Lanza PS, my Chileans didn't do crap with two separate additions. Go figure......

Did you use the Acti-ML with the Chilean batches? If so maybe there is a language barrier in there somewhere (they didn't know that they were supposed to do the MLF thing, try swearing at them in a different language).

Okay, just shoot me.

Did you use the Acti-ML with the Chilean batches? If so maybe there is a language barrier in there somewhere (they didn't know that they were supposed to do the MLF thing, try swearing at them in a different language).

Okay, just shoot me.

Yep, ActiML, and the OptiMalo nutrients. I swore at them more than once, only in English, but in the end, decided to make the wine the way the wine wanted to be made, so they're sulfited and barrel aging now

Received the VP in the mail... in a shoebox, packed in an envelope with a cooler pack in it. For dehydrated MLB, shipped in December? Okey doke. It's in the fridge with the nutrient.

Stick it in the freezer, it'll keep for a year. If you end up not needing it for the PS, keep it til next Fall.......

Received the VP in the mail... in a shoebox, packed in an envelope with a cooler pack in it. For dehydrated MLB, shipped in December? Okey doke. It's in the fridge with the nutrient.

Where did you buy it?

Your only chance of seeing bubbles is when the wine reaches saturation with CO2, if you disturb the wine and cause CO2 to be released, the wine will no longer be saturated and will require some time before it reaches saturation again. The time to reach saturation again, depends on the rate of ML activity, as well as how far you knocked down the concentration of CO2 in the wine while stirring.

I had a little taste this morning and it is a vastly different wine than it was a month ago. Still very tannic, but softer and more pleasant and flavorful than before.

I'm really kinda giddy at the notion that the MLF is actually happening.

The VP and nutrient are in the freezer. I may drop it after the next test... I'm hoping not.

Last edited:
Back