Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Special Interest Wines > Tobacco Wine

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #11
yanks4carolyn

Jul 2015
Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Funny replies! The tobacco is pure. No preservatives, chems or pesticides. Not sure I will try it but I think it's interesting enough that I may play around with it as soon as I get my "wants list" cut down some. I don't see the big dif in tobacco or oak trees. It can't be half as bad as grapefruit wine sounds. Heck I think Jack K made some from oak leaves. I'll be sure and post the success or disaster.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:13 PM   #12
dralarms
Overboard as usual
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Jul 2012
Liked 809 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 1372

As long as the product is pure. Try it. Nothing to loose but a little time. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #13
Toque

Jun 2014
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Doesn't sound that crazy to me. I've seen a Perique Liqueur on the market, though I've never tried any.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #14
Wooden

Apr 2016
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This is an interesting idea, but I would be concerned about safety. And that's not because of chemicals but the nic itself.

I would agree the tobacco notes in big reds can be pleasant. But safety needs to be looked at.

Nicotine can be lethal in high enough doses especially when consumed orally. I know people who don't smoke can have pretty nasty effects from even one dose of nicotine gum and people can get pretty sick from swallowing just a tad of saliva from first-time chewing.

I would get more information on the "dosage" of this (and how much actual nicotine would end up in the wine/how bio available it would be) before doing it.

I would think an ultra small dose of a leaf of some high-end pipe tobacco would be the place to start if the research doesn't come up with anything conclusive.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:17 PM   #15
yanks4carolyn

Jul 2015
Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wooden, I never considered the nicotine. The store has closed down so I'll have to X that idea anyway.