Brewer to Winemaker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1galbrewer

Junior
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just joined the other day and figured I’d do the whole introduction thing.

As the title and username suggest, I’m a home brewer who recently got into winemaking. I brew mostly 1 gallon batches in order to get to make more recipes. I also do a fair amount of experimentation/testing with brewing (comparing fermentation temperatures, culturing and harvesting yeast, etc).

As far as winemaking goes, I first did an experiment with some store bought “jam” grapes (12+% ABV), then did a kit wine in preparation for what I’m busy with now: wine from grapes.

I have 4 varieties that I have split into reds, rosés, and carbonic nouveau wines. Hopefully they come out well, though I think some don’t have much hope, but I’ve definitely learned a good amount.

The rosés have suffered from some sulfur I’ve been trying to get rid of. I’ve been low on time, so the reds might have a little oxidation. No idea if I should oak the carbonic wines or put them through MLF.

Overall, it’s been fun and can’t wait to do more. Will not do it again without a crusher though, haha.

Welcome
You will a lot of crossover from brewers here. I actually did wines first, then beer and now just mainly wines. There are a lot of similarities and a lot of differences. Good luck

Latest posts

Back