Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a5696bc.gif

What's that on the road ahead?

Never mind...

I can tell you one thing that is ahead, goose crap. We had two families of geese that took up residence down by the lowest cabin from us. The owners thought they were so cute. I reserved judgement as I cleaned the kids shoes every night that had a beautifully green Braunschweiger like substance coated all over the bottoms...If the weather had been nicer I think a smoked goose breast would have made a spectacular main course.

My fun, and luckily my wife was on a hike with the kids, was what I found out is a milk snake. Their favorite snack is reptiles including young pit vipers (copperheads and rattlesnakes) which we have plenty of. I just thought the coloration was beautiful (picture doesn't do it justice), even though it scared the piss out of me when I went to urinate against that wall, not knowing there was something watching. It hung around for a few days since it could sun itself on our wall leading down to the creek (much to my wife's displeasure). It was rather cool last week, just came home to 88*F and humid and the kids are complaining (what else is new).

6-10-17_milk-snake.JPG

My best attempt (though poor, the better ones had long exposures w/o a tripod) at a @JohnT wine in the fire shot. It was my first glass of Forza I opened and was intensely flavorful and very alcoholic. I used a glass for several nights as a night cap, and it did a great job. The image represents the first day that my family had on vacation celebrating both my oldest son's graduation from high school and his last vacation with us before he enters the Air Force. Very proud of him but uncertain about my feelings about him leaving the nest!

Second image is of him fumbling with a 15" brown trout in a bag in his nap sack. He didn't look up until I cracked my Labatt's Blue pounder.

6-10-17_fire-n-wine.JPG

6-10-17_Nick.JPG

Okay, I promise (fingers crossed) that I'm done posting images after these. First is a foot bridge we help maintain to get across the creek (our place is to the right but cropped out of the image). Second image is looking north from the bridge (our front yard), Third is looking south. Fourth is the rails-to-trails path, my son in the earlier image is on the creek just to the right of the image.

Edit: Goose poop is to just to the left of the first image, in case you care about green poops.

6-10-17_bridge-1.JPG

6-10-17_bridge-2.JPG

6-10-17_bridge-3.JPG

6-10-17_walk.JPG

Last edited:
I can tell you one thing that is ahead, goose crap.

Sing it to the following tune: "She's my little goose poop...."

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwgGuadsqyo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwgGuadsqyo[/ame]

A few pix from the farm.

Hay time yesterday. We got 27 round bales off 10 acres - a new record by 3 bales.

Four o'clocks coming out at 3:45.

Tiger lily bed about to bloom. This was planted by the original owner in 1964 or so.

Sunflower row.

Honeysuckle blooms.

Mullein row.

LOADED blueberries.

Guess you can tell why I never much want to leave the farm!

Round bales?? Really, you haven't lived until you load wagon after wagon of small bales, 80 to 120 lbs ea. Sunup to sundown.

I did that for 3 years, 1991-1994. One good year, we took 1,100 square bales off that 10 acres. Hard as hell to find help, rain is always threatening. Back-breaking, hot dirty work. My breaking point was when I came down out of the hay loft of my oak barn to find one kid smoking in the middle aisle of the barn, surrounded by wood and hay. He got sent home. No more squares after that!

On the other hand, the farmer across the road grew wheat and sold the straw on a state contract for a few years. He leased the modern square bale equipment that gathers them all up into blocks after harvest so they are processed for shipping. It was amazing to watch people do that while driving from an air conditioned seat!

Several times a week you'll find find Sadie and I using Tauscher's Trail for our morning or afternoon "puppy hike"...

Last edited:
US Open time! These are from the second day of practice, so everyone is loosey goosey. On the ninth hole, Sergio Garcia (dark green shirt in 2nd picture) was in a sand trap behind the green, and holed it from the sand! Other pictures feature Steve Stricker, Jim Furyk, and Pat Perez, as well as Holy Hill in the background, and "roughing it" in an air-conditioned sports bar on site.

DSCN0146.jpg

DSCN0101.jpg

DSCN0125.jpg

DSCN0095.jpg

DSCN0129.jpg

DSCN0083.jpg

Some more images from my week off. This shows what a bunch of scrap wood plus a few six packs of beer can produce. My youngest brother and his family were at the cabin the week before, and he managed to clean quite a bit of stuff out of our woodshed/beer oasis. He left a bunch of wood stacked outside against various walls, so either I had to use it or burn it. Being the environmentalist type I decided to build a wood box (to enhance our ability to fuel our woodstove and fireplace to produce bountiful amounts of CO2 gases).

Notice the tongue and groove floor (using 100+ year old wood).

6-10-17_woodbox.JPG

6-10-17_woodbox-2.JPG

US Open fun anecdote for today: Zach Johnson (pictured below in black) made a tricky, sidehill putt. Then he putted again from the same spot, and made it again. The crowd all cheered, but he looked frustrated. Then he yelled to the crowd “You don’t understand: I am trying to miss it!” Immediately, someone in the crowd yelled out “Then you should let me putt it!” After the laughter died, Zach held out his putter and said “Okay!” and called the guy out onto the putting green. He timidly went, lined up the putt, and promptly missed.

Z Johnson.jpg

spieth.jpg

Back