SO2 procedure completed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hal Maulden

Reaction score
All,

As promised I have completed my study on the SO2 determinations. The test I am about to turn over is VERY accurate. Read this and determine if you would like to dive in. If you have any questions let me know.

First off, this is not for everyone. It does cost a little money and does require some form of competency of doing lab work. If you are not VERY interested in controlling your SO2 to the most minute detail, you should look at some other method. I wanted to develop this for those who are working in areas that require accuracy, such as Malo-Lactic fermentation.

Below is the link to one of the best places I have found to buy analytical equipment. I have listed what I believe is the minimum requirements for performing this test.

[url]http://www.wine-testing-supplies.com/ccp51/cgi-bin/cp-app.cg i?usr=51F629639&rnd=5965792&rrc=N&affl=&cip= &act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=assembly3 [/url]

175-#2961 (Sodium Thio. 0.025N 4oz.) (1/each) - $6.78

170-3374 (Sulfuric Acid 1 +3(25%) 16oz.) (1/each) - $12.63
175-3031 (Starch Indicator 1% 4oz.) (1/each) - $6.73

170-2296 (Iodine 0.0156N 16oz.) (1/each) - $20.58

#170-1778 (Flask Erlenmeyer 500ml) (1/each) - $7.29

Economy Cylinder Size /Qty.: #471-3544 - (size 100 ml)(each) $8.01

The below link describes the test very well. Substitute the above apparatus and chemicals and you are in business.

http://www.vinquiry.com/analytical_protocols.htm

In place of buying a burette, go to your local veterinarian or drug store and purchase a 10 and 25 mls syringe. These will work fine for the titration. Add the Iodine at 0.5 mls increments. Swirl the flask and look for the blue to hold for 30 seconds.

Instead of pipeting the sample use the graduated cylinder.

For red wines add at least 50-100 mls clear water. This helps you see the blue color change.

The key to this is keeping the Iodine standardized. All chemicals should be kept in the dark, and away from kids.

Hal

Hal,

Thank you for this detailed and well researched post.
smiley32.gif

I apologize for not acknowledging it sooner as I did see it when you posted it but then it slipped my mind.

Latest posts

Back