Yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalGuy

Reaction score
I am doing a cellar craft kit ( Pinot noir), it comes with Lalvin EC-1118 yeast pack. Is there another type I should use? Only reason I'm asking is I see a lot of people online making comments about yeast types and what to use for different wine.

They give you EC-1118 because it's a workhorse yeast, without any special needs, hard not to get a good ferment with it. I did a Pinot noir bucket with BM 4x4 because I had it left over from a batch of zinfandel, it came out rather good. If you're fairly new to wine making I'd suggest staying with the instruction and get a few under your belt before trying to tweak it.

Just remember if you swap out the yeast for something else and you have problems you have voided the warranty. Unless you have at least a year of making kits and really have a keen eye for a normal vs abnormal fermentation (in other words) you can spot a problem and you know what to do without coming on this board for the answer) you may want to just make it by the book this time.

Last edited:
I am doing a cellar craft kit ( Pinot noir), it comes with Lalvin EC-1118 yeast pack. Is there another type I should use? Only reason I'm asking is I see a lot of people online making comments about yeast types and what to use for different wine.
Be careful picking another yeast, some have higher nutrient requirements, some don't work well with concentrates.

I have had good experience with RC-212 in better quality kits. I haven't used RC-212 with a Cellar Craft kit though. I note that RC212 is listed for Pinot Noir on the Lalvin web page.
http://www.lallemandwine.us/cellar/pinot_noir.php

When I see 'Cellar Craft', I think 'Cellar Craft Showcase' which is an excellent brand. However, the web page doesn't list a Pinot Noir. So is this a Premium or a Sterling kit? Not sure how much concentrate is in these last two.

Steve

Just remember if you swap out the yeast for something else and you have problems you have voided the warranty. Unless you have at least a year of making kits and really have a keen eye for a normal vs abnormal fermentation (in other words) you can spot a problem and you know what to do without coming on this board for the answer) you may want to just make it by the book this time.
Now how would they know you switched yeasts LOLOLOLO

Back