yeast starter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoS

Reaction score
I'm new to this and need help. How do I make a yeast starter. Is it a yeast package, sugar, water, nutrient, and what else?

Use what you listed above, add a cup or so of must, let it sit til it gets going good, add another cup or so of the must, and maybe do it again. Pitch er in and you are on your way to skeeter pee. Arne.

Thanks. I got my primary ready and my starter is going. I'll pitch it tomorrom.

Day before: I take a quart of apple juice and warm it to about 90 degrees. Stir ina teaspoon of yeast nutrient and a teaspoon of yeast energizer, add about 3 tablespoons of sugar and then the yeast. cover it over night in a warm spot

How long should it take for skeeter pee to begin to ferment? I have 5.5 gal in a 6 gal bucket. Its been a day since I put the yeast in and I do not see any "burping" in the airlock.

Skeeter pee should be without airlock. Just put the lid on, but don't snap it down because you will be stirring and squeezing daily

GeoS said:
How long should it take for skeeter pee to begin to ferment? I have 5.5 gal in a 6 gal bucket. Its been a day since I put the yeast in and I do not see any "burping" in the airlock.

Best way to tell is hydrometer reading. With active fermentation your hydrometer should be changing

Oops! Thanks. I'll take the airlock off. I have been stirring it daily and breaking the seal is a pain in the rear so this is good news.

Unfortunately no. I checked the SG today and there is no change. I put the starter in two days ago. Not sure what I did wrong, if anything. I'll give it another day.

Back