Yeast Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeleepad

Junior
Reaction score
I am on the final stage of a regular batch of skeeter pee. I added Potassium Sorbate and Potassium Metabisulphite to the batch and then added sugar, but the yeast is still active. What do I do to stop the yeast?

I am on the final stage of a regular batch of skeeter pee. I added Potassium Sorbate and Potassium Metabisulphite to the batch and then added sugar, but the yeast is still active. What do I do to stop the yeast?
How do you know the yeast is still active? Bubbles are not a good enough sign. What kind of sg readings have you taken? Did you ferment to dry before stabilizing and sweetening?

Steve

It was sitting for two weeks. Clearing with no bubbles in the airlock. I stabilized the batch and then added the sugar and now there is bubbles. It was dry until I added this last amount of sugar.

I think that cpfan is trying to say that you should monitor the SG reading after adding the sugar. If there is refermentation, the SG will drop.

Bubbles are not reliable in this case; it could be that you had CO2 dissolved in the wine, and that adding the sugar has driven some of it out, causing the bubbling.

Latest posts

Back