Yeast Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShelleyDickison

President of Stay at Home and Do Nothing Inc.
Reaction score
I am doing a bit of experimenting with these juices. They are only one gallon batches. Basic recipes with no water added and all the basic chemicals. I only had 2 types of yeast on hand 1118 and 71B. I decided to use the 71B. Pitched the yeast yesterday morning. Normally I use 1118 which will basically ferment chrome and seems to start very rapidly and ferment hard. The 71B I used shows signs of fermentation, occasional airlock movement and a gentle roll (I won't be checking SG till tonight) and my question is does the 71B have a softer, for lack of a better word, fermentation compared to the powerhorse 1118. Thanks.

image-2394618941.jpg

yes 1122 will be a softer ferment. 1118 is a workhorse and very good for those unusual wines or stuck fermentation.

You made a good decision in not adding any water to these because water has already been added to them to make the juice. Any more water and your wine would have been very weak in flavor.

71B is sensitive to competing factors and can have difficulty competing with wild flora. So it's always recommended to rehydrate it with Go-Ferm or Go-Ferm Protect.

Back