Yeast Amount in My Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mango Madness

Reaction score
I currently have a 60L brew of Watermelon and Strawberries. The yeast which was CL23 says one pack per 25L but I have only put one pack for the 60L brew. I believe the yeast grow? Will it get itself to the right level needed or am I slowing down fermentation? It seems to be bubbling away nicely.

1 packet of yeast for up to 25 liters ensures a good initial colony. That same packet can inoculate a 100 liter batch, but the takeoff will be a LOT slower and the likelihood of other microorganisms growing is much higher. For 60 liters, I'd use 3 packets.

It helps to make an overnight starter. In a wine bottle put the yeast packets, 1 cup distilled water, 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient, and 1 tsp sugar. Shake to mix and loosely cover. 12- 24 hours later, swirl to mix, then pour gently down the side of the fermenter so it doesn't spread much. Typically you'll have evidence of fermentation (bubbles, yeasty smell) in 6 to 24 hours.

* the purpose of having a high population at the start is to overpower any native yeast or bacteria and force the fermentation where you want it.
* if it is bubbling nicely your population of yeast is already higher than one would see with ten extra yeast packs
* the yeast population reproduces until there is a limiting factor, generally 1/3 of the sugar is consumed, ,, but other nutrients as YAN or magnesium or oxygen for cell walls could be limiting so cell budding stops. ,,, yeast population will start to decrease after this point.
? Will it get itself to the right level needed or am I slowing down fermentation? It seems to be bubbling away nicely.

Back