"WOW!" 's Worth Noting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cohenhouse77

Patience Apprentice
Reaction score
I hereby dedicate this thread to the experimental winemaker in us and all the future "WOW!" 's we will encounter.

Two most recent wow's:

I used RED STAR Pasteur Red yeast in my latest batch of Dragon's Blood. It has taken on a completely different mouth feel and made me proclaim, "WOW!"

Then, even more recently, with my stuck Skeeter Pee I added 6 bananas in a mesh bag when I re-pitched my yeast, thinking it would just add some needed nutrients and "WOW!". I think I may be adding bananas to all my Skeeter Pees from now on. What a nice non-banana aroma, flavor, and boldness it took on.

Thanks, cohen! I've been interested in starting a side-by-side yeast comparison study with the Dragon Blood---since it seems to be a good wine to tinker with. I'm starting a batch this week, and i have some Red Star something in the fridge. I'm stepping up to some bananas, too. It's a bold step, I agree, but I'm like that, ya know. :)

Should I? A different yeast and bananas?! :D

I started an 8.5 gallon batch of Red Dragon/Berry Bliss Melomel, I added 20 oz of raisins as the SG hit 1.030, it gave the yeast a needed kick of nutrients, and it will add body and mouth feel, I back sweetened with honey as well.
This is a true Melomel this time, it will need a few months to age, but if initial sampling are any indication of the final product....WOW!

Now I've used raisins in some of my red, and golden raisins in some whites, but I haven't tried them in my DB yet. You guys just keep trying different stuff, and I'll take notes! :h

I started an 8.5 gallon batch of Red Dragon/Berry Bliss Melomel, I added 20 oz of raisins as the SG hit 1.030, it gave the yeast a needed kick of nutrients, and it will add body and mouth feel, I back sweetened with honey as well.
This is a true Melomel this time, it will need a few months to age, but if initial sampling are any indication of the final product....WOW!

This sounds fantastic! I'm going to give this a try tomorrow. Danger has been tempting me with his reports of the Red Dragon Melomel, so I think i"m going to jump in. If it's anything like the Dragon's Blood (or even better??) then I think it'll be a winner.

Do you guys have a recipe for a gallon of dragons blood? I would like to try a gallon before I venture into five gallons. Thank you

You'll be sorry! So far, anyone who has made a single gallon has stated they wish they had made more. Go for five! Go for five! :r

I agree with Danger Dave. I was tempted to do a 1-gallon for my first batch but went with the full 5. I'm glad I did - this stuff goes down like water and my husband and friends can't keep their mitts off of it.
I prefer wines that are on the dry side, so I only used about 2 2/3 cup sugar to back sweeten the batch and it came out awesomely.

Dave,

I would use a different yeast and the bananas, the Naners will give it body without the flavor of Naners. You will be surprised, if you have a kit wine or any that seems thin add a banana per gallon. I like mine ripe and frozen then thawed. You will be amazed!

What is preferred with this wine SWEET, SEMI-SWEET or Dry? S.G.?

cbritton, you'll love the Red Dragon Melomel, if you want to really ramp it up, get an oak infusion spiral, and add half, you won't taste the oak, but the tannins will give you that nice long lasting feel.
a Melomel turns out more like a nice light berry wine, I brought 2 bottles to a dinner party last night, and it was a major hit!
I just got done bottling 5 gallons, and I have just under 10 gallons clearing as we speak, the bottles fly out of the wine rack here, I am trying to build up a supply that is greater than the demand....lol

Sorry to jump in but how do you add the banana? Is it put in whole? And for how long? I've read some people use dates too...

Thanks

Leo

Stanley:

You put the Bananas in the bag with your fruit, it will dissolve into the wine. You are adding solids to your wine, which increases the mouth fwwl. # make sure you peel them first before you place them in the bag...LOL#

Stanley:

You put the Bananas in the bag with your fruit, it will dissolve into the wine. You are adding solids to your wine, which increases the mouth fwwl. # make sure you peel them first before you place them in the bag...LOL#

That is how I use them, though the Keller website tells you to chop them whole with skins on. It just seems weird to me.

Stanley:

Ok, so maybe someone who knows better can pipe in here...

I saw a recipe here a while back that actually said to add the banana with peel to the primary. This seemed a bit odd to me as I figured it would bring bitterness to the wine; when I asked about this I was told that it was in fact, the correct thing to do.

So now I'm confused again and, as I am going to be starting tatud4life's cherry/lime DB (as soon as I can find the frozen cherries) and was also going to add the banana for mouth feel/body...do I add the peel or not?

Thanks for the answer(s)!

Is there a recipe for this somewhere? Sounds like a variant I'd like to try.

Latest posts

Back