WMT (Unofficial) Dragon Blood Variant Contest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost wish I didn't have to judge this one as I have a really good recipe I'm wanting to try. However, the girlfriend insisted that I accept the honor of judging this esteemed event lol. I guess I will just have to send a bottle down to Danger and see what he thinks. After the competition of coarse!

I feel ya there. If you were to randomly pop in to visit, you could pretty much gaurantee I have a DB variant (or 3) in the works. I do so love me some dragon bloods!

You guys are going to have so much fun with this! I can't wait to see the different variations.

My Sweet Strawberry Tart is done fermenting and waiting for me to coax in into the carboy tomorrow. It should be clear and ready to back sweeten by the end of the week. I have much higher expectations for this one than I did for my last two contest entries. Embarrassing!

You all did notice I'm working with freakin' strawberries again...:rdo...I ain't got no sense.

You got nothing to worry about Dave. I went way off the wall. Should be easy to beat me!

I'm a newbie and this would be my first entry into any competition. But count me in, well, as soon as I get the skeeter pee out of the carboy's.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I'm a newbie and this would be my first entry into any competition. But count me in, well, as soon as I get the skeeter pee out of the carboy's.

You're in! And you still have plenty of time. Welcome to the very lowest level of wine making competition. :p

Gina, I was unable to respond to your PM, as you have apparently blocked receiving them.

The answer to your question is 'yes'.

Now I know what happens when you leave town for a few weeks! Trying to sneak this in behind my back. :) Count me in. I was getting ready to start another batch of my Berry Black Dragon which has become a favorite of all my friends and family!

Last edited:
I have three buckets of mixed lemons and limes sitting here drying up..... Guess it time to try to do something with them. I never liked lemon type drinks. Marageritas are good however:) Maybe I'll make my first Dragons Blood wine with them. At least it sounds better then Skeeter Pee!
Count me in:)

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

Gina, I was unable to respond to your PM, as you have apparently blocked receiving them.

The answer to your question is 'yes'.

Thanks!

I have no idea what happened to my account. It went really weird and I couldn't send/receive messages or post for a few days. I think it's resolved now.

I have three buckets of mixed lemons and limes sitting here drying up..... Guess it time to try to do something with them. I never liked lemon type drinks. Marageritas are good however:) Maybe I'll make my first Dragons Blood wine with them. At least it sounds better then Skeeter Pee!
Count me in:)

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

Skeeter pee is delicious. Plus you can make funny jokes after you share it with people. "Did u drink my pee yet". And so on. You get it.

Now my dragon blood for the contest may not be so good. I just did my first racking tonight. Maybe I used to much citrus?? It sure was good before I pitched the yeast. I hope it comes around.

Last edited:
Well, Calvin, you still have plenty of time to make some more!

My entry---after a second dose of pectic enzyme---is clearing nicely. I still need to measure the pH at some point, to check for balance, but it's tasting pretty awesome.

I went over the above posts and added jensmith, cheesehead, fabrictodyefor to the list. That's ten entries, which is a good showing, I think. Thanks to everyone for participating! :br

Have I missed anyone?

I'm starting another batch tonight! Of course I'm going to experiment again.

Last edited:
Got a standard DB going just in case I am not 100% pleased with the strawberry's outcome. I wish I was judging! There are going to be some mighty tasty entries, I think. :br

Mine will be lime and blueberry as the base. Thinking about how to tweak it. We will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

My first batch is a cherry lime. So far it's not turning out very good. I think I used to much lime juice. I have a few tricks up my sleeve tho.

The second batch I'm working on is a original recipe + 6 #'s of blackberry and some oak. I have high hopes for this one. Well see.

You bunch of carrot danglers! All sounds delishy!

In the mean time I will enjoy this wonderful 5 month bottled quad-berry.

Who's dangling carrots now?

Not meaning to sound in any way uppity or snarky or anything like that, but I am so happy that I get to be a judge in this! I do luvins me some DBs.

Back