WMT (Unofficial) 2014 Port Wine Contest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have received three entries from Joeswine today
Coffee port 2010 tweaked kit
Caramel port 2010 tweaked kit
Peach port 2009

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making Talk App

I thought Kit wines were excluded....no?

dangerdave This competition will be for [B said:
home made port or port style wines[/B] (no kits). Send in your best

Now the question is does a kit that has been tweaked from its original still classify as a kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making Talk App

Dan is correct. No kits, no tweaked kits, no any kits this go around. We can do a kit competition at some point, if we want. I thought that I had communicated this adequately. Joe and I even exchanged a few PM's where I re-explained this to him and assured him that only one bottle needed to be sent to each judge. I type fairly precisely, so I was pretty sure I had made it all clear. Now, I am not so sure.

Duster, for all our sakes, consider Joe's Peach Port to be his entry, since the other two are made from kits. I guess the other two were bribes!---which is completely within the rules, I might add. And that makes you a lucky man. I've had Joe's Coffee Port. It is very good!

JohnT, the semi-flexable giudelines for entry target shipments arriving by the end of this month-ish. I haven't sent mine out yet either, so don't sweat it. Mine will likely go out some time this week. Our esteemed judges, I'm sure, will not commence their judging until they have received a sample from all those who wish to partisapate---within reason, that is.

I've been using the excuse that's it's been too hot, but it's cooled off a little so I need to just find the time now. :)

I've been waiting for some bottles but my winery friend who supplies me has had some issues this spring. I'll try to get mine out the door soon. I think we have until the end of the month, right? I'll do my best.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I actually have two ports. Is it allowed to submit more than one entry? If so I will do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I'd prefer not to be beaten too badly, Greg, so let's stick with one entry each. Some of us are pretty new to port making, and our wines are still a bit young. I would like to think---for his sake---that my 2013 Dragon Port couldn't hold a candle to Joe's 2005 Peach Port. Or any port more than a few years old. I am interested, none-the-less, to see how mine holds up in competition.

And, like I keep saying, it's a chance to get some pointers from the winners. :sm

Ok, I'll just send one. My first port I called "PGP" - "Pretty Good Port". The second is "EBP". Guess what that stands for. It's still in the carboy and has been for a while. Let's just say it is a Tawny port.

Ok, I'll just send one. My first port I called "PGP" - "Pretty Good Port". The second is "EBP". Guess what that stands for. It's still in the carboy and has been for a while. Let's just say it is a Tawny port.

Greg hang onto that Tawny Port. I have some I deliberately oxidized a bit. I hate it but there are some folks that love them. I hope you don't have too much.

I have a couple bottles of the port ready to send. Now I just need to acquire packaging! Hope to get out sometime this week.

We've had some problems with Duster's address coming from the shippers. He has assurred me that the address given is the address prefered by the local post office, but I think shippers may prefer the actual street address instead of the postal reference.

36 Golden Way Drive

36 EMS T14 Lane

Back