RJ Spagnols Winery Series Italian Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vabeachbear

Reaction score
I have made the Winery Series Super Tuscan twice.

The first was bulk aged for a year and bottled in Nov '12 (tasted a split on New Years and its really, really good), second one is almost done fermenting.

Also made EP Amarone twice, almost same schedule.

I wanted to make a more Italian wines. Barolo first or a Brunello. I'm very happy with Spagnols besides the 4 kits above, I've also made to EP Cab, and WS Zin).

I've tried to find info on what grapes are in either WS Rosso Grande Excellente, and Rosso Bravissimo, but can't get any info. Even wrote Spagnols directly without getting a reply.

Does anyone know what they are? How different are they from Super Tuscan. Has anyone had any luck with other brands Barolo, or Brunello? I'm only interested in the high end kits.

I made the WE Brunello. Tastes OK, but it is almost as thin as water... that is a big turn-off for me. I didn't have my oak barrels at the time, otherwise, barrel aging would have helped with the lack of body.

I made a very expensive Mosti Mondiale Meglioli Barolo. Considering the price, I am very disappointed. It has no varietal taste and is no better than an inexpensive red table wine, even after spending a great deal of time in an oak barrel. (It is now about 3 years old and is not getting any better.)

I would stick with the RJS kits. Of course all this is nothing more than my own personal experiences; others may totally disagree. Only way to find out is to make a kit for yourself.

The RJS Cru Select Brunello is excellent. Don't rule it out just because it's not EP. WE has a Brunello in their new International Skins line, I haven't tried it yet but plan on it soon. I am a BIG commercial Brunello fan but kit selections are very limited for Brunellos. As far as Barolos there are several, I bottled the CC LE Nebbiolo a couple months ago and was quite pleased. WE is doing a LE Nebbiolo this spring.

I don't totally disagree with Robie's comment about the Meglioli's. But my experience with the Amarone and Rojo Intensio (Tuscan Blend) is that yes, they are crazy expensive at $200.00+ and are quite disappointing the first year. But at the two year mark they start to shine and from there forward is your pay off. Unlike the EP kits that are expensive but show well earlier, more like the eight month mark. It's just that the selection of EP kits is lacking.

Just fyi my time references are after bottling which is usually seven to ten months after fermentation is complete.

Agree with the time. I bulk age all reds for a year, then another year in the bottle before I start to drink. I'll usually bottle 4 splits, and try one every 3 months or so to see how its coming along.

So bear what did you decide?
Just tasted my first split of En Primeur Cab (6 months barrel, 3 months bulk, 3 months bottle), and its too good, so that's going to have to be in my regular rotation. I checked everywhere including Spagnols on line, and the place I buy kits from even contacted them, and they would give no info on the grapes used in Bravissimo or Rosso Grande, would just say they are different.

I think I'm going to try the new WineExpert Eclipse Barolo. I really want to make a Barolo and/or a Brunello, so I guess I'll try and see if WineExpert has stepped up to the level of Spagnols.

Heard that Spagnols will have a En Primeur Super Tuscan coming out, really excited about that. Thinking I'm not going to have to deal with the jars of gunk much anymore in the Winery Series.(although my Winery Series Zin is almost ready to come out of the barrel, and its been real good along the way) With En Primeur having Amarone, Super Tuscan, and Cab, 3 of my 4 every year will be a given.

I have a WE Selection International Brunello that has been aging for almost 10 months. I used two oak wine spirals in it and never added the oak cubes that came with it. I need to find some time this weekend to test the SO2 and give it a tasting. I will let you know how it is proceeding. I have to admit that I haven't had a properly aged commercial Brunello for comparision. I have one in the cellar that I have been saving for my wife's birthday this year, but that is towards the end of the year. :-(

Latest posts

Back