RJ Spagnols Italian Amarone Winery Series vs WE Intl Selection

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim, have you made any other Amarone from other kits?

I was told by a LHBS that they also get Amarone juice buckets as well as fresh grapes.
I was surprised to hear they get fresh grapes......hmmm

I wonder how an Amarone made from juice bucket would develop.

I've only made the EP Amarone, so have nothing to compare it to at this point, other than to say I think it'll be excellent.

I'd be very interested to see what exactly is in the Amarone juice buckets and if they are actually blending Corvina, Molinara and Rondinella; or using other juices to make an 'Amarone Style'. I'd be adding raisins to one of those buckets, regardless.

take a look at this one, all 23L "kit", I really wonder if it is pre-balanced and all that:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ELJK1E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I almost jumped on this. Then I read the fine print. It's grape concentrate, they just have already added the water.

"grape juice concentrate, varietal grape juice, liquid invert sugar, tartaric acid, citric acid, tannin,diammonium phosphate,metabisulphite,bentonite, wine yeast,ascorbic acid,potassium sorbate,kieselsol, chitosan. ay contain oak."

Since it has tartaric acid, i would assume it's balanced. One thing for sure, the price is right. If I get it, I'll just tweak it like I do kits. Probably with black cherries.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Amazon kit has good reviews, but I'm skeptical and not sure I'd want to tie up a carboy for an 'experiment'.

Regarding the second one, I wouldn't buy an Amarone with the word "Argentina" in the name. :)

The Amazon kit has good reviews, but I'm skeptical and not sure I'd want to tie up a carboy for an 'experiment'.

Regarding the second one, I wouldn't buy an Amarone with the word "Argentina" in the name. :)

I see that the same 211 reviews apply to all the 6-week kits (I counted 13). It could be that the Amarone got 5 stars from everyone who commented... but then again who knows?

Disclaimer: I didn't read through all the reviews so maybe there are a number specific to the Amarone kit.

The name doesn't say the country "Argentina".

It looks like "Argentia Coast Reserve" is a product line from "Argentia Ridge". A little bit confusing.

The name doesn't say the country "Argentina".

It looks like "Argentia Coast Reserve" is a product line from "Argentia Ridge". A little bit confusing.

Understood. It was my feeble attempt at humor. :D

OK, Varis. In the name of science, I decided to open a bottle of the EP Amarone and test it for you tonight. Not surprisingly, I think it needs a little more age. But it is excellent. I can't speak for how it would compare to the Showcase or Winery series, but you won't be disappointed with this kit.

Thanks Jim, and that is with just a bit over a year old, right?
Save me a bottle when I go to DC for Thanksgiving....::

Back