RJ Spagnols Winery Series Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcalli1

Reaction score
I just picked up a RJS Winery Series Amarone (thanks Brew and Wine Supply) and am wondering if any of you have had experience with it. Did you follow the instructions to the letter? Did you tweak it in any way? Thanks.

Rocky said:
I made it last year and it was great. I did not tweak it in any way. The Winery Series does not need it IMO.

Thanks Rocky. So far, my Super Tuscan is coming out great, too, but I used a liquid yeast rather than the EC-1118 provided.

Last edited:
Did you follow the instructions to the letter?
I am pathologically unable to follow the instructions to the letter. At minimum, the time frames are extended. Reds with a lot of oak will have the oak reduced. Reds with no oak will engender a discussion about adding oak.

Sorry I haven't made this kit, but I'll guarantee that it wouldn't be bottled when the instructions called for.

Steve

cpfan said:
I am pathologically unable to follow the instructions to the letter. At minimum, the time frames are extended. Reds with a lot of oak will have the oak reduced. Reds with no oak will engender a discussion about adding oak.

Sorry I haven't made this kit, but I'll guarantee that it wouldn't be bottled when the instructions called for.

Steve

Yeah, this is only my second red kit, but as with Super Tuscan, this will get at least a year's aging if I can keep my grubby paws off it. Except for the Super Tuscan, where I used the liquid yeast, I've been pretty good about following the rules through secondary fermentation.

All,

How would you compare the RJS WS Amarone to the CC Showcase Amarone (assuming that you've made it)? I just bottled the EP Amarone and it was very good and I have the WE SI Amarone bulk aging. I'm trying to decide between the CC Showcase Amarone and maybe the MM Meglioli Amarone (I've already got 2 Meglioli on order - not sure I want to get a 3rd this year).

Thanks,
Tate

All,

How would you compare the RJS WS Amarone to the CC Showcase Amarone (assuming that you've made it)? I just bottled the EP Amarone and it was very good and I have the WE SI Amarone bulk aging. I'm trying to decide between the CC Showcase Amarone and maybe the MM Meglioli Amarone (I've already got 2 Meglioli on order - not sure I want to get a 3rd this year).

Thanks,
Tate
Wow, you really like amarones. Well so do I. I just bottled the WE SI Amarone with skins and I am really impressed with it at 6 months old. Tim from Winexpert says it really becomes good at 9 months. I have the CC Showcase Amarone on deck and from all the reviews I have read I really look forward to making it. It seems it might take two years untill it really peaks. I haven't made a Meglioli yet.

I have made the Showcase Amarone several times. In fact, Amarone is my Christmas wine every year. Interestingly, I find I enjoy the Showcase Amarone more at 1 year than I do at 2 years. The flavors seem to flatten out and it seems to lose its character. I have one bottle left from my 2010 vintage that I will save until next Christmas. I am curious as to how that will age.

Latest posts

Back