Other Current Favorite Amarone Kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeycannoli

Reaction score
I know this topic has been discussed a lot in the past and one of the favorites used to be the cellar craft amarone kit, but since they are discontinued what is your favorite / recommended kit?

I am looking at the RJS En Primeur Amarone Kit and the Winexpert Private Reserve. Looks like both kits come with the grape skins. I will most likely switch out the supplied yeast with BM4x4.

What are yout thoughts / opinions? Any other kit out there that is worth trying?

I have made the RJS En Primeur Amarone Italian Style Kit several times (or maybe it was the other Amarone style kit they had), it came with both Skins and Raisins. I made the WineExpert Amarone kit, back before they went to the Private Reserve styling. I much prefer the RJS version of these kits. It provides a fuller bodied wine, with little to no kit taste. Be prepared to age it quite a bit before drinking, at least 6-9 months before bottling and then another 6-12 after bottling before drinking.

Amarone is a favorite of mine. I have made RJS Italian Amarone and RJS Amarone Classico (which I don't believe is available anymore). Both of them were/are excellent. They are 2 and 3 years old at this point. I've also done an Amarone juice bucket but it's not in the same class as the RJS kits.

Amarone is a favorite of mine. I have made RJS Italian Amarone and RJS Amarone Classico (which I don't believe is available anymore). Both of them were/are excellent. They are 2 and 3 years old at this point. I've also done an Amarone juice bucket but it's not in the same class as the RJS kits.

I tried a juice bucket last season and it was underwhelming. Want to give the kit a try as I have heard good things. Thanks for the recommendation.

I tried a juice bucket last season and it was underwhelming. Want to give the kit a try as I have heard good things. Thanks for the recommendation.

I know they sell such things, but to my mind "juice-bucket Amarone" is almost an oxymoron. Doesn't make sense!

I know that really good wine kits contain grape skins and seeds. IO was in the supper market and bought 2lbs of black grapes. did anyone try to add these grape skins to a lesser costing kit, would it be the same.

I know that really good wine kits contain grape skins and seeds. IO was in the supper market and bought 2lbs of black grapes. did anyone try to add these grape skins to a lesser costing kit, would it be the same.
I haven't done it, although others have reported it improves the wine. Also, you can add raisins, Zante currants, and dried elderberries, among other things.

The early "premium" kits often included dried elderberries.

Made the VineCo kit -- added 1cup tart cherries and 1cup raisins....to what was provided (skins et al) and fermented with RC212. 2months in bulk aging now on 1 Med+ toast American Oak spiral.....shooting for min6 -- may go to 12.

Good Luck!

Cheers!

I have made both the RJS and the former 18L WE kits. Both were very good. We just celebrated our Wedding Anniversary last week. We served 21 bottles of our wine including the last 4 bottles of 2020 Amarone. Of the 4 varieties we served, the most compliments were about the Amarone. Yesterday I ordered the new WE Amarone kit.
As Tom Petty would say "It's the waiting that's the hardest part"

Currently in my cellar, I've got WE Private Reserve Amarone, RJS En Primeur Amarone, and have a Vintner's Cellar Platinum Amarone bulk aging. To date, I would lean heavily in the direction of RJS; although I have strong hopes for the Vintner's Cellar batch.
How long do peeps typically bulk age their Amarone? Then bottle age?

How long do peeps typically bulk age their Amarone? Then bottle age?
I've bulk aged for anywhere between 3 - 18 months (the more recent batches are the longer timeframes), and bottle aged for up to 10 years. My wife and I celebrated our 10th anniversary this year and opened the last bottle of the WineKitz Someillier Reserve I had made for our reception (bulk aged 3 months) - it aged incredibly well.

Latest posts

Back